Re: Promoting Web/W3C Anniversary Symposium?

Hi Amelia,

You impress me :)

Here are my notes.

On 2014-09-19, 12:22 PM, Amelia Bellamy-Royds wrote:
> Ooops, this should have been on this week's telcon agenda!
>
> I think Janet is correct, that there should really be a clear, written
> policy about this.
>
> To focus the discussion, I've created a set of clearly defined options from
> the comments so far.  Could people reply with an indication of which they
> would be agreeable to, and which would be a concern?
>
> Renoir: please reply with a clear deadline for making a decision on the W3C
> request.

The intended duration is from now until October 29.

The W3C comm team wanted this last week. Other sections of the W3C
[0][1] are already promoting the W3C20.

  [0]: http://validator.w3.org/
  [1]: http://www.w3devcampus.com/

> Possible policies:
>
> 1) No promo content on WPD. That's not the purpose of the site, and it
> takes time away from other work.

+ 1/2

> 2) Any steward may request, on occasion, to temporarily replace their logo
> in the page footer with a promotional logo,

+1

> and to add promotional copy and
> links to their steward page (which the footer logos link to).

+1

> "On occasion" would need to be clearly defined, e.g., not more than once a
> year.

Makes sense

> The logo&copy could not imply that WPD endorses or is designed for
> any specific product, however.

That one is hard to limit reasonably.

I would agree fully with you on the limitations if it was about
promoting the DevCampus or Validator suite.

> 3) A small area for a promo image+link will be added in the page header.
>  This will only be used to promote events directly related to WPD, e.g.
> DocSprints.
>
> 4) A promo image+link in the page header may be used to promote WPD events,
> or W3C events that are of broad interest to the community.
>
> 5) A promo image+link in the page header may be used to promote events that
> are of broad interest to the community (this would have to be more clearly
> defined), at the request of any WPD steward.  There would need to be
> clearly defined limits on how often requests could be made, and how long
> the promotion could last, e.g., no more than once a year and no longer than
> one month.  There would also need to be a policy on conflicting requests
> (since we wouldn't want more than one promo at a time): first come, first
> served OR split the overlapped time?
>
> Finally, policies (2)+(3) or (2)+(4) could be combined, creating a very
> restricted promo header, but allowing stewards to use the footer logo and
> steward page to promote other events.
>
> I would be supportive of 1-4 or any combination thereof.  I'm concerned
> that (5) could lead to ongoing debates about what is acceptable and how to
> manage conflicting requests.
>
> But I'm just one contributor, as Doug said in his initial message, it's
> important that there is broad community support and support from the
> stewards.
>
> --ABR

Well said. I +1 fully all of the above.

--
Regards,

Renoir Boulanger  |  Developer operations engineer
W3C  |  Web Platform Project

http://w3.org/people/#renoirbhttps://renoirboulanger.com/  ✪  @renoirb
~