Re: Onboarding new members

That's good to know, Renoir.

Just to be clear, since this is part of Mediawiki, the welcome email would
be sent out when new users sign up to edit the wiki, right?  So they might
not have signed up for the email list yet, and we want to encourage them to
do that, first, and when they have, send out an email introducing
themselves.

For the text of the welcoming email, we probably want to borrow the content
from Step 3 of the Contributor's Guide (
http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/WPD:Contributors_Guide), or at least
include a link to the Contributor's Guide page.  It includes a suggestion
to sign up for the email list, a little explanation of how it works, and an
encouragement to send a "hello" email.

If we can get translators for the welcome email, maybe we can encourage
them to keep going with the rest of the Contributor's Guide as a long-term
project.

Jen Simmons:  What is the status of cleaning up and re-organizing the
Contributor's Guide?  Do you need someone else to take over or help out
with this project?  Right now it's a bit of a messy desk -- "I know the
information is in here somewhere!" -- and that's not very helpful for new
users trying to figure out where they can fit in.

Amelia