Re: translating content

From: Amelia Bellamy-Royds <amelia.bellamy.royds@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 08:54:54 -0600
To: webverena <webplatform@koyal.net>
Cc: List WebPlatform public <public-webplatform@w3.org>
Hi Verena,

There isn't really a "coordinated" effort on translations currently.
 Hopefully it will become the next priority after the current clean-up
efforts for the English-language reference pages.

If you are interested in getting started on your own, you could focus on
translating tutorial pages and the "top level" category pages.  These have
a fairly loose structure that doesn't depend on Mediawiki templates and
forms.

In contrast, for the reference docs pages, we need to translate all the
templates and forms in a way that makes the basic facts automatically
update across all language versions (e.g., the default value of a CSS
property is the same whatever language you speak -- but the word for
"default" is not!).  That will be a major project that should be
coordinated across all languages.

Here are the relevant reference pages describing how translations currently
work.  Hopefully they are not too contradictory!

* WPD:Translations <http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/WPD:Translations>
* WPD:Projects/translations
<http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/WPD:Projects/translations>
* WPD:Multilanguage Support
<http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/WPD:Multilanguage_Support>
* Mediawiki's Template:Languages
<http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Template:Languages>

You can also search the email archives for past discussions about
translation:
http://www.w3.org/Search/Mail/Public/search?type-index=public-webplatform&index-type=t&keywords=translation&search=Search

I hope that gets you started, although I would encourage other list members
who have been doing translations to get in touch with you.