RE: Attribution to MSDN on JavaScript pages

From: Eliot Graff <Eliot.Graff@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 16:06:09 +0000
To: PhistucK <phistuck@gmail.com>
CC: Max Polk <maxpolk@gmail.com>, Eliezer Bernart <eliezer.bernart@gmail.com>, Julee Burdekin <jburdeki@adobe.com>, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>, "Renoir Boulanger" <renoir@w3.org>, WebPlatform Public List <public-webplatform@w3.org>
>>Actually, I wasted a lot of time trying to find the original article in MSDN for any page I edited in the dom namespace.
>>A lot of information was imported incorrectly, whole tables were missing and more and I wanted to see the source in order to understand how it should have looked like.

>>Adding the actual original article link is way better for imported content. If it is possible, I strongly prefer it.

Hi Phistuck.

You bring up a great point, so let me rephrase:

Representing Microsoft, we’d be fine if the topics referenced the top-level JavaScript reference page for attribution. The navigation there is adequate for developers to get to the source page and this satisfies any requirement we have as donor.

As a member of this community, however, I agree wholeheartedly that linking back to the original page is a far superior experience. Unfortunately, I do not know if the URL for each data has been preserved and can readily be imported (I don’t think they were; that was the reason that the HTML, CSS, and other pages Microsoft donated point to the Internet Explorer API Reference page).

Eliot