From:  Janet Swisher <jswisher@mozilla.com>
Date:  Monday, January 6, 2014 at 2:34 PM
To:  WebPlatform Public List <public-webplatform@w3.org>
Subject:  Re: homepage design

Hi Jen!

Thanks for thinking about this and taking the time to write up your
thoughts. There was a conversation on the list about this topic last May,
and then I think I failed to follow through by filing the corresponding
bugs. I'm glad to see the topic taken up again.

Here's a link to that previous discussion:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webplatform/2013May/0108.html

I believe that for the time being, the most important purpose of the home
page is to draw volunteers into participating in the content community. The
home page should also not get in the way of people who are looking for
content. The long-term goal for the site is for the audience of readers to
outpace the audience of editors, but readers are secondary to editors until
the content is much more developed. We can always redesign the home page
again when reading becomes the dominant activity.

Here's where I got some of the ideas about showing community activity on the
landing page:
http://www.feverbee.com/2010/09/creating-the-perfect-landing-page-for-your-o
nline-community.html

That article is oriented towards online discussion communities, rather than
a community of action like WPD. But I think the same principles apply:
potential members want to see that the community is active and therefore
worth their time.

On 1/6/14 1:15 PM, Jen Simmons wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I hope your holiday break was a good one.
>
> I started thinking about a new homepage design for WebPlatform.org. I thought
> I'd start by opening a discussion about who will be landing on the homepage
> and what it is they want to do.
>
> I'm attaching a pdf describing what I'm thinking so far. I'd love to hear more
> suggestions about users, use cases, and the content that's needed to address
> those use cases. I started an ether pad where everyone can add more ideas &
> suggest priorities. https://etherpad.mozilla.org/duBxaKiUXE I like editing on
> a shared document more than sending around lots of pdfs, but feel free to
> respond with ideas in email as well, of course.
>
> So what do you think?
>
> Jen

Cheers,
--