Re: Meeting notes: General Meeting, 1 April 2014

Hi all,

Just want to add a link or two that supports the notes here.

That's all

On 2014-04-01, 3:13 PM, Eliot Graff wrote:
> Action items
>
> ACTION on shepazu: create blog post draft about progress on compat tables
> ACTION on JenSimmons: Create a blog post about home page improvements
> ACTION: on Doug to send mail to opera
> ACTION: each attendee of Fluent to send piggyback mail about what should be in a blog post about the Fluent Doc sprint
> ACTION: on Julee to send out a 3 question survey about why people didn't show up
> ACTION on Eliot to verify the content of the JS pages and sending out a request to the list or blog
>
> Minutes
>
> Eliot tells Renoir that there are errors on the server. Renoir goes to investigate.
> TOPIC: static site infrastructure
> shepazu ...landing page, home page, etc.
> ...Jen ask for changes in repo
> Renoir found a NodeJs static stie genrator, mirrored it on Github
> Jensimmons: looks good
> Shepazu: need to make it easy and obvious for someone helping
> Just go to the repo with a similar URL to the live site, and make a pull request
> ...Ppl have aasked to be able to help via GitHub. Yay, Renoir! and Jen!

A summary of the decision process and requirements are available here [0]

> Shepazu: Jen has pushed out the front page. Write a short blog post?
> JenSimmons: yup
> shepazu: add a little about pushing changes with GitHub, too.
> ...Renoir can help with details, too.
> TOPIC: Compatibility Table Project
> shepazu: Renoir's completed the code infrastructure
> ...and has an instance running
> ...running on test
> ...will generate tables.
> ...Jen, can you look at the tables and do the minimum work to make them look nice?
> ...The compat table extension is working
> Jen says yes.
> ...takes the data and puts it on the web page in a way that also caches, and caches properly.

On [1], I described what has been done:

TL;DR:
* Generated HTML is saved into Memcached, retrieved until invalidated
* Changing source json  [6] file invalidates cache and regenerate+cache
the table
* Specific view [4] via a MediaWiki "special page", nice for the public
to re-use
* Theme less view [5], used for ESI version, but can be re-used too

> ...Critical moving forward, since only some data will change and we don't want to refresh it all every time
> ...on top of the MediaWiki extension
> ...So, we can generate the tables.
> ...But we can only generate the data.
> ...Fro's solution had a problem with timeout with Kuma
> ...Renoir talked with Pat Tressle to make a crawler that wd get all the data from MDN
> ...so now we have the infrastructure. We just need all the data.
> ....Not a challenging part of the project.
> ....Eliezer or Renoir can put it into templates, too.
> ...we need to figure out how to call each data thing.  Should be template-driven.
> ...You'd only have to put the name of the feature in and it goes off and grabs the compat table info,
> ...so that's tremendous.
> ...Goes far to completing CSS!
> RenoirB: on /test, I put implementation on the pages.

For example, you can see here [2][3]

  [0]: http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/WPD:Projects/Homepage
  [1]:
http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/WPD:Projects/CompaTables/201403-sprint
  [2]:
http://docs.webplatform.org/test/css/properties/max-height#Testing_CompaTables
  [3]:
http://docs.webplatform.org/test/css/properties/text-shadow#Testing_CompaTables
  [4]:
http://docs.webplatform.org/test/Special:Compatables?feature=border-radius&format=table
  [5]:
http://docs.webplatform.org/test/Special:Compatables?feature=border-radius&format=table&foresi=1
  [6]: http://docs.webplatform.org/compat/compat-mdn.json

--
Regards,

Renoir Boulanger  |  Developer operations engineer
W3C  |  Web Platform Project

http://w3.org/people/#renoirbhttps://renoirboulanger.com/  ✪  @renoirb
~