Logging management and analytics utilities "noc" services

From: Renoir Boulanger <renoir@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 12:21:04 -0400
To: Ryan Lane <rlane32@gmail.com>, List WebPlatform public <public-webplatform@w3.org>
Hello Ryan, and fellow infra geeks,

I'd like your opinion regarding where to host Logstash [0].

LogStash is an open source application made to parse and help search log events by harmonizing the data and make it easy to search through it [2]. It is based on the idea of what Splunk [1] can do.

If you want to try it, I am currently using the salt state [5] on a separate host and you can try it [7] (!!).

Here are my questions:

PS: I might have others, but I wanted to start a thread on it.

1. LogStash uses ElasticSearch [3], and it is distributed[4], we will want to use it for other things, any recommendations?

I thought of modifying the suggested salt stack config [5] and have at least 1 elastic search node (e.g. es1). And to install log stash itself on monitor.

2. Fastly supports to send error logs to a syslog server, but our plan do not support it, opinion on upgrading?

See [6].  It was just a thought to enable it, I would suggest to finish sending ALL logs to log stash, then we see what else we can get and the benefit of that data source.

Thanks for reading :)

  [0]: http://logstash.net/
  [1]: http://www.splunk.com/
  [2]: http://demo.logstash.net/