Re: Getting Started page updated

Thanks Doug! I appreciate the scrutiny.

tl;dr - I think the page length is fine. I agree that we need to clarify
the workflow, make the path from the Editor's Guide to the Getting Started
page more obvious.

I'll defend the length first.

The new design saves clicks, the bane of user experience.

One of the big problems we observed with the original GS page was that
folks were confused by the links to the lists of pages. They had difficulty
deriving the actual task to be performed and where. Requiring the visitor
to click through two pages to get to a page to work on was part of the
problem. The current design eliminates the need to click through a
strangely-wrought query result list, as well as saving a click by
presenting the start of the list up front with a description of the query
criteria.

I don't think the page is too long. Indeed, I was surprised that it came
out as short as it is. Not every page has to appear "above the fold," as it
were, and putting all tasks in one page lends continuity. It's the Web, and
long pages are okay. We need to divorce ourselves from the antiquated
"book" paradigm (in favor of the new-antiquated "scroll" paradigm! :)

Seriously, though, I see no good reason to chop this up.

I also disagree that as a visitor, most of the page does not apply.
Visitors may choose from any of the tasks types at any time. They glean
information about the type of content and the domain of the subject matter
from the Page and Summary descriptions in the list, and this information is
actually more important than whether the task is "basic" or "involved" or
"advanced" - these monikers are really just arbitrary abstractions. They
don't have any context until the visitor reads the subheadings and lists
underneath them. The visitor should be free to bounce from fixing broken
links to developing code examples to fixing bugs.

Now let's consider the workflow.

(By the way, Julee, I like that you used the borders on the boxes! And
thanks for taking care of the content about the pillars and all that -
sorry to clutter the page, I just didn't know what else to do with it!)

Anyway, I've fixed the link in the Main_Page to read, "please read our
Editor's Guide." The proper workflow is to steer contributors to that
step-by-step document first. The GS page is merely a part of the process,
and it is right there under "Working the wiki" in the Editor's Guide.

We also need to fix the dismissible Alpha message to point to the Editor's
Guide, not the GS page. Does anyone know how to do that? I scoured the wiki
looking for the template to no avail. Also that Alpha notice needs a better
design, generally.

Point is, the workflow is correctly drawn (We send 'em to the Editor's
Guide, then the GS page), and I agree with you that we need more points of
access. Within the Editors Guide we should provide more links to the GS
page - to the anchors for each task in the GS page, as these are mostly
followed by the Editor's Guide likewise.

I think that if we fix the dismissible Alpha message, and provide more
links from the Editor's Guide to the GS page, we'll have it pretty well
covered. I'll start working on these soon.

~Scott