W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-webplatform@w3.org > March 2013

Re: Web Platform Meeting Notes 3/15

From: Doug May <intuedge@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 22:54:06 -0700
Message-ID: <CABPs60HVOGKULm+wTwhUoCCVknLLrFmq6HsiL+A54p6KctDbaQ@mail.gmail.com>
To: Julee <julee@adobe.com>
Cc: public-webplatform@w3.org
Thanks, Julee.

tl/dr:  DougM is tied up Thurs and Friday so he did a brain dump on
the community development task force meeting outline, to try to enable
and inspire some of the work that needs to be done next (imho).

I'm currently booked at O'Reilly this Thursday and Friday (all day) to
be a student in their live trainings on closures and Clojure (two
topics on two days), so I am likely to miss both the Community
Development task force meeting as well as the regular Friday content
meeting.  At the risk of injecting some stumbling blocks for others, I
fleshed out some detail for the community development conversation,
hopefully consolidating, clarifying, and simplifying what I tried to
say in earlier and longer rambles on key topics.

I assume rollback is only a few clicks away.

I still feel very strongly that the upcoming doc sprint is a key
opportunity to expand our visibility and transparency by fleshing out
both our prep plans, and execution plans, for the sprint, as an
exercise in using the new project tools that Garbee has delivered for
us.  It is also my assessment that there's lots of work to map the
generic capabilities of TBG onto whatever turns out to be best
practices for our work here, and that we will do best by rapidly
iterating on small subsets of the larger problem (i.e., plan the
sprint and one other area well, and use the lessons learned to go more
directly to what's needed on the next topic).

Somehow the notes on making relative status and progress more visible
on the main pages (as well as individual topics) hasn't yet made it
onto the agenda, but I mention it here as a great first foray for a
small design team at the next event.  The current layout is entirely
flat -- every topic appears to have the same status, priority,
relevance, and focus, and we want to shift that so that the page is
way more dynamic and engaging and reflective of our progress on our
game-changing mission(s).

Maybe somewhat hidden between the lines is the non-trivial challenge
of getting large-scale technical volunteer participation, at the
levels needed to establish a de-facto standard reference.  I have
tried to drop some hints and best practices from experience alongside
the brainstorming and other suggestions, with no attachment to any
individual idea's adoption.  I have left all of this under the
community development conversation, because it seems to me that that
is where we have to confront the gap from our currently unrealized
potential to our dazzlingly game-changing possibilities.  It is in no
way intended to burden, distract, or delay the work of that task
force, and I will gladly redirect all commentary, given a more
appropriate direction to aim at.

Submitted in solidarity and partnership,
DougM


On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 6:23 PM, Julee <julee@adobe.com> wrote:
> Hi, everyone:
>
> I've posted the discussion and action items from Friday's community meeting
> here:
>
> http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/WPD:Community/Meetings/Content
>
> Also, here are the action items:
>
> * Everyone:
>
> ** If you haven't been editing pages, can you volunteer to do a CSS
> property? that will get you used to editing the wiki and experiencing what
> our users are experiencing?
> ** also try to recruit one or two people to do some property pages.
> ** If there are certain pages that should be reviewed by an expert, call
> them out to me.
> ** If you have ideas of experts who would be good reviewers, let Julee
> know--we need a significant number of them before we can claim that the docs
> are good
> ** Use the new "needs review" tag to tag articles that need review
>
> * shepazu to reach out to public CSS WG list and ask for experts to review
> CSS pages
>
> * Denis to follow up with Julee about sitemap generation [DONE]
>
> * Shepazu to allocate more spaces in future community meeting calls
>
> * Shepazu to get richard ishia [sp?] comment on what a better solution will
> be. He's the W3C l18n expert
>
> * shepazu to send localization guide to public lis
>
> * Julee to call it out to the l18n folks to make sure loc guide makes sense
> & add it to the Ed-Guide.
>
> * Denis and shepazu to talk about improving built-in search. (Did we replace
> default search with Lucene?) (Lea to shepazu: this might help:
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:SphinxSearch)
>
> * Denis to continue debugging the session bug
>
> * scottrowe_ to set up meeting about next doc sprint
>
> * julee to follow up with garbee on how to do workflows and forms in BG
>
> * shepazu to invite people to twitter account
>
> * peterlubbers to invite people to the Google+ admins
>
> * Julee to add comm plan as a topic for the community taskforce.
>
>
>
>
> ----------------------------
> julee@adobe.com
> @adobejulee
Received on Tuesday, 19 March 2013 05:54:34 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 8 May 2013 19:57:40 UTC