Re: Draft blog post on CSS Regions

Good news is always welcome! Some comments inline.

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 6:24 PM, Julee <julee@adobe.com> wrote:

>  Hi, everyone:
>

> In an effort to keep the good news coming, I drafted a blog post for CSS
> Regions. Please let me know your thoughts.
>

> ----------------------------
>
> BLOG POST PROPOSAL: CSS REGIONS

Perhaps a more descriptive title?

> PROPOSED POST DATE: Monday, Jan 28 2013
>

> RELATED TWEET/SOCIAL MEDIA BLURB: CSS Regions: tutorial
> http://goo.gl/XBdfh and API docs http://goo.gl/2g7tm on #webplatform.org:
> your web, documented.
>

> BODY:
>

> CSS Regions helps content flow from one layout element to another without
> forcing a position.

Perhaps leading with the fact that it's an emergent standard to better set
developers' expectations?

> This affords complex magazine-style designs in which content flows through
> freely positioned layout elements.

"Affords" sounds overly proper here to my ear.

> The latest on CSS Regions is now in Chrome Beta, as well as Canary and
> nightly WebKit builds.

Superfluous "on"?

The wording doesn't make it clear that it's Chrome Beta/Canary; it sounds
like it's "Canary and nightly WebKit builds". It also doesn't make it clear
that you'll have to flip a flag to play with it (and thus it's certainly
not ready for deployment on a site with real users).

> Mike Sierra <http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/User:Sierra> wrote up a
> tutorial <http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/css/tutorials/css-regions>
> that shows how flows work, how to arrange a layout, enable it, control
> region breaks, style fragments, trim content, and create adaptive layouts
> with media queries.
>

> Here are new API doc pages, the first one for the API package as a whole:
>

> http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/apis/css-regions****
>
> http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/apis/css-regions/CSSRegionStyleRule****
>
> http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/apis/css-regions/Document/getNamedFlows**
> **
>
> http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/apis/css-regions/NamedFlow****
>

> http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/apis/css-regions/NamedFlow/firstEmptyRegionIndex
> ****
>
> http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/apis/css-regions/NamedFlow/getContent****
>
> http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/apis/css-regions/NamedFlow/getRegions****
>

> http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/apis/css-regions/NamedFlow/getRegionsByContent
> ****
>
> http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/apis/css-regions/NamedFlow/name****
>
> http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/apis/css-regions/NamedFlow/overset****
>

> http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/apis/css-regions/NamedFlow/regionlayoutupdate
> ****
>
> http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/apis/css-regions/Region****
>

> http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/apis/css-regions/Region/getComputedRegionStyle
> ****
>

> http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/apis/css-regions/Region/getRegionFlowRanges
> ****
>
> http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/apis/css-regions/Region/regionOverset****
>

> New CSS property/rule pages
>

> http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/css/properties/flow-from****
>
> http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/css/properties/flow-into****
>
> http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/css/properties/region-fragment****
>
> http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/css/atrules/@region
>

>  Mike also posted the example he described here:
>

> http://letmespellitoutforyou.com/samples/region_mq_sample.html

All of these sections come across as a dump of data in the form of bullets.
Perhaps choose a few key links (or perhaps a link to a page that lists all
of these pages) and work them into a prose paragraph?

> View it with Chrome Beta, Canary or Webkit Nightly, with experimental
> features enabled. Resize the window to see the simplified mobile layout the
> tutorial describes. Download the sample and play with the layout a bit: a
> more flexible CSS layout (rather than the hard-coded 8.5x11 page) would
> adapt it to various tablet browsers; a multi-page variant could be easily
> modified with swipe gestures to navigate among pages, with no need for
> additional paged media markup. And let us know what you've done!

This last section reads like an advertorial for CSS Regions, when
ostensibly this post is about the fact that there is now good CSS Regions
documentation on WPD (and giving a bit of background for folks who have
never heard of CSS Regions). And the "and" at the beginning of the last
sentence comes off as a bit informal (see what I did there?).