CSS Properties Milestone: Enumerating CSS Properties

From: Alex Komoroske <komoroske@google.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 14:20:19 -0800
To: "public-webplatform@w3.org" <public-webplatform@w3.org>
Hi all,

The first step in the project plan [1] is to enumerate all CSS properties
so that we can decide which ones are targeted in the milestone and then
track progress on them.

In the near future we'll want to use Garbee's Bug Genie install, but in
order to not block I've temporarily started tracking them in a Google
Spreadsheet [2]. The spreadsheet is world editable, so you don't even need
a Google Account to edit it (although it is nice for revision history
reasons if you use one).

My goal is to have this list be an exhaustive enumeration of all CSS
properties (modulo prefixes) that are accepted by mainstream browsers. It's
taking longer than I expected!

My work plan is this:

   1. Copy and paste the list of CSS properties from within Chrome's Dev
   Tools (with any prefixes removed), which is a complete list of all CSS
   properties that WebKit currently understands (minus the 'shorthand'
   properties)
   2. Go through the list of CSS properties on WPD currently [3] to make
   sure that list isn't missing any, and to keep track of which pages already
   have a URL on WPD
   3. Go through other listings I can find (e.g. MDN) to make sure my list
   is a superset of properties
   4. Take note of which ones appear to be non-standards track (e.g.
   -webkit-appearance)
   5. Go through the list to come up with a preliminary priority breakdown
   (P0 = Critical, P1 = Important to have, P2 = Good to have, P3 = Not
   required, P4 = Can wait)
   6. Circulate for comment with this list.

This is turning out to be quite a bit of work. :-) Let me know if you're
interested in pitching in on this step.

--Alex

[1] http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/WPD:Tasks/CSS_Property_Milestone
[2]