Re: API Docs Proposal

From: Scott Rowe <scottrowe@google.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 09:38:31 -0800
To: Chris Mills <cmills@w3.org>
Cc: "public-webplatform@w3.org" <public-webplatform@w3.org>
Thanks Chris,
My two bits in line...

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 8:48 AM, Chris Mills <cmills@w3.org> wrote:

> This all sounds really good.
> A few questions it brought to my mind.
> * Are the cited APIs that we've got in progress/documentation available
> for in any kind of priority order? Would it be worth doing that? This would
> help me to write the document covering work to do and priorities.

The list of extant APIs is not prioritized - if it were, xhr wouldn't be
last! I have added a priority column so that we can adjust and sort the
order as we see fit. We started this without a eye toward priority - just
to evaluate the problem and scope the work, but now we should establish
priorities. Good call!

> * Are we going to cover JavaScript libraries such as jQuery, Raphael, etc.
> in the APIs section, or would that go in JavaScript, or somewhere separate?
> You are really just looking at HTML5 (and related/similar) APIs, which is
> not necessarily wrong, but I thought it was worth raising the question.

I'm inclined to say that libraries are beyond the scope of this effort.
There are so many, and most are documented well enough. Furthermore, the
user of a library is more likely to get the documentation from the library
itself. I think we should focus on HTML5 JavasScript APIs.

> * On a similar note, are we going to cover 3rd party site APIs, such as
> Twitter, Flickr, etc.? Getting someone to write something concise and easy
> to follow about those could be a huge USP for us, for example I tried using
> the eBay API recently and I gave up because the documentation was
> completely unusable. But then again, how many people such APIs? Is the
> demand there, or would it just be a waste of effort? There are obviously
> much lower hanging fruit than that to get started with.

Again, and for similar reasons, I think this is out of scope. However, we
could consider reaching out to 3rd parties to get them to publish their
docs on WPD.