From: Scott Rowe [mailto:scottrowe@google.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2013 10:45 PM
To: Shali Nguyen
Cc: public-webplatform@w3.org
Subject: Re: Column examples

That's what I get for hitting the send button too soon...

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 12:24 PM, Scott Rowe <scottrowe@google.com> wrote:

Thanks Shali!!!

Great work here. Let me first reply in-line to some of your points...

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 5:38 PM, Shali Nguyen <shalinguyen@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi there!

I was going through the webplatform.org docs today and became immediately
interested. I've been wanting to find a way to help contribute to the
community and would love to lend a hand!

I plan on hopping in on tomorrow morning's meeting but wanted to try and get
started to see if I could be of help. Upon reviewing "columns" article from
the Aug 14th week, it looks like you guys are missing some examples and have
some that exist that aren't formatted cross browser w/vendor prefixes.

Here are my suggested improvements on live examples for Multi-column
sections:

http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/css/properties/columns
Currently has no live example.

*	Existing example: None
*	New example: http://code.webplatform.org/gist/6288803

Nice! I've added this to the document.

http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/css/properties/column-count
Existing live example doesn't show column-count. I've created a simpler
example for only the column-count property.

*	Existing example: http://code.webplatform.org/gist/5305530
*	New example: http://code.webplatform.org/gist/6288917

I've added this one, too.

http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/css/properties/column-rule
Currently has no live example.

*	Existing example: None
*	New example: http://code.webplatform.org/gist/6288958

and this one.

http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/css/properties/column-rule-color
Currently has no live example.

*	Existing example: None
*	Propose to use this existing example:
http://code.webplatform.org/gist/6288958 (same column-rule above)

I forked your example and broke out the column-rule-color property. See
http://code.webplatform.org/gist/6311315

And I updated the doc.

http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/css/properties/column-rule-width
Uses jsfiddle example instead of codelet.

*	Existing example: http://jsfiddle.net/dstorey/K6X54/
*	Propose to use this existing example:
http://code.webplatform.org/gist/6288958 (same column-rule above)

I forked your example and broke out the column-rule-width property. See
http://code.webplatform.org/gist/6311393

And I updated the doc.

http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/css/properties/column-rule-style
Uses an example only visible in firefox.

*	Existing example: http://code.webplatform.org/gist/5305898
*	Propose to use this existing example:
http://code.webplatform.org/gist/6288958 (same column-rule above)

I forked your example and broke out the column-rule-style property. See
http://code.webplatform.org/gist/6311519

And I updated the doc.

It looks like column-fill and column-gap examples are fine unless we want to
make sure vendor prefixes are also included. If that's the case, here is the
updated example (forked from existing example):
http://code.webplatform.org/gist/6289096
<http://code.webplatform..org/gist/6289096>

Yeah, these looked okay. I'm not sure we need the prefixes, though I've left
them in all your examples. It's a nice touch, so why not. It's just that
most developers are sick of prefixes and we're all looking forward to them
going the way of the dodo.

But hey, you don't need me to do this editing for you. Go ahead and create
an account:

http://docs.webplatform.org/w/index.php?title=Special:UserLogin
<http://docs.webplatform.org/w/index.php?title=Special:UserLogin&returnto=cs
s&type=signup> &returnto=css&type=signup

And dive right in, edit away!

If you've got some more time this week, check out the list of properties
we're currently working on; see the Web Platform Wednesday page:
http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/Meta:web_platform_wednesday

This page has more information on how to go about editing CSS properties,
with links to the editing guide and a rather amateurish tutorial video by
yours truly. (I'd appreciate any feedback on the video.)

We're going to continue working on CSS properties in coming weeks, as well.
We hope you can join us!

--
Shali Nguyen
www.shalinguyen.com <http://www.shalinguyen.com/>

Welcome aboard, Shali! We really appreciate the help!

~Scott