Re: Message "Do not check this box without first reviewing with the community on the e-mail list."

Thanks, everyone. OK. I'm thinking that this UI is confusing. Mike Sierra thought it meant that you should not add an example unless you emailed the community.

Maybe the note should say something more direct to the editor, such as: "This article does not need an example. (This box should be checked only in rare cases. Most articles need examples.)" ?

From: Scott Rowe <scottrowe@google.com<mailto:scottrowe@google.com>>
Date: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 8:35 AM
To: Eliot Graff <Eliot.Graff@microsoft.com<mailto:Eliot.Graff@microsoft.com>>
Cc: Jonathan Garbee <jonathan.garbee@gmail.com<mailto:jonathan.garbee@gmail.com>>, WebPlatform Public List <public-webplatform@w3.org<mailto:public-webplatform@w3.org>>
Subject: Re: Message "Do not check this box without first reviewing with the community on the e-mail list."

The examples checkbox tells us whether or not to include the article in the results of a query for articles needing examples. If the article should have an example, and the checkbox is not checked, then the article will display the "Needs Examples" flag and it will be listed in the results of a query for articles needing examples, like those in the Getting Started page (http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/WPD:Getting_Started#Develop_code_examples).

This is essential information that helps guide contributors who want to develop code examples. As to whether it belongs in a conceptual article, that is up to the beholder: if you think a conceptual article needs an example, go ahead and leave the box unchecked.

~Scott