W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-webplatform@w3.org > April 2013

Re: Community Development Task Force

From: Scott Rowe <scottrowe@google.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 12:51:07 -0700
Message-ID: <CAHZLcPo-mrpARLdG7Vk4oWnnMaicC=F7Q8rD4be3kn2_LH47Zg@mail.gmail.com>
To: Chris Mills <cmills@opera.com>
Cc: wpd@theherzes.com, "public-webplatform@w3.org" <public-webplatform@w3.org>
Thanks David,

We should explore this idea of reaching out to aggregation sites. What does
"connect to" look like? What are we asking these sites to do?  Would
including them on the public-webplatform-news e-mail list be part of this
effort?

~Scott



On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 12:36 AM, Chris Mills <cmills@opera.com> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> This all makes sense, completely. Cross browser compatibility is pretty
> much a core feature of the series of best practices we try to promote,
> which go along with best practices. I think the aggregation sites you cite
> are prime candidates for needing to ensure cross browser compatibility to
> survive in a competitive marketplace.
>
> Banks and government sites however, are a different kettle of fish. They
> are often IE only because they often rely on legacy systems that only work
> in IE, sold to them during the height of the IE dominance at the end of the
> 90s. To update all their systems to something that worked cross browser
> would be considered not worth it.
>
> But yes, these kind of cross browser best practice message should be at
> the heart of whatever we do.
>
> Chris Mills
> Opera Software, dev.opera.com
> W3C Fellow, web education and webplatform.org
> Author of "Practical CSS3: Develop and Design" (http://goo.gl/AKf9M)
>
> On 17 Apr 2013, at 06:11, "David R. Herz" <WPD@theherzes.com> wrote:
>
> > If you would like me to reach out to anyone in Israel, I’d be happy to
> do so.
> >
> > Just to throw out an idea, I am wondering if it would be worthwhile to
> try to connect to sites for start-ups or sites that aggregate lists of
> other sites.  I am thinking here Springwise.com ormakersrow.com.  People
> who are starting up and trying to sell services and create new platforms
> should be particularly concerned about the standards as coding according to
> them should ensure consistent image, appearance and accessibility across
> platforms.
> >
> > In Springwise’s case, they are presenting start-ups.  Maker’s Row
> aggregates manufacturer information.
> >
> > I am in Israel, and it seems there are many sites here  (government and
> my bank included) that only really work on Internet Explorer.  I’ve had the
> same experience with US based sites as well.  So, something like this:
> >
> > When people demand your services, you can force them to use your
> preferred browser, but when you are trying to sell your services in a
> competitive marketplace, you better make sure your web site is accessible
> to all comers.  For this we have standards.  For this the WPD  team is
> documenting them so that you too can make sure your site is compliant.
>  Help us get the word out.
> >
> > or appeal to the entrepreneur, and the professors catering to those who
> wish to be entrepreneurs.  You must get to market to succeed, a compliant
> site will help you do so.  So let’s be clear on what a compliant site
> entails, so that your students can use best practices to make sure there
> are no barriers when others try to access their sites or services.
> >
> > Just throwing stuff out there because I don’t already have too much
> going on.
> >
> > David R. Herz
> > wpd@theherzes.com
> >
> > From: Patrick D'Souza [mailto:pdsouza@about.com]
> > Sent: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 9:54 PM
> > To: Scott Rowe
> > Cc: public-webplatform@w3.org
> > Subject: Re: Community Development Task Force Meeting Notes
> >
> > Doc sprints in New York. Yay !!! :):)
> >
> > On 04/16/2013 02:50 PM, Scott Rowe wrote:
> > Thanks to all who attended!
> >
> > At today's meeting of the Community Development task force, we had the
> following. You can find all of the information below at the following page:
> >
> http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/WPD:Community/Meetings/Community_Development
> >
> > Agenda
> >       • Establish an irregular meeting time.
> >       • Develop a plan for university outreach and communication.
> >       • Decide when/where to hold up-coming doc sprints.
> >
> > Actions
> >
> > Meeting time
> >       • Resolved: the meeting's appointed time shall remain Tuesdays via
> Zakim at 10:00 Pacific Time, to be held only if there is an agenda.
> >       • Doug (shepazu): confirm the Zakim reservation and reestablish
> the conference code, 3627 for these meetings.
> > University outreach
> >       • Julee to contact Alex (jkomoros) about potential internship
> funding and availability.
> >       • Julee to create internal spreadsheet listing contacts, their
> address and particulars.
> >       • All to fill in the spreadsheet with contacts - having done the
> legwork to sign them up.
> >       • Doug (shepazu) to contact W3C member universities.
> >       • Julee to edit student recruitment message [1] with more detail
> about internships and specific tasks/projects for recruits.
> > Doc Sprints
> >       • Resolved: Holding a doc sprint at OpenHelp would be contingent
> upon Mozilla also holding a doc sprint. Not likely.
> >       • Tabled: Doc sprint at OSCon, July in Portland, OR.
> >       • Tabled: Doc sprint to coincide with Internet Week New York [2].
> >       • Tabled: Doc sprint in North Carolina.
> >       • Tabled: Doc sprint in New York or Boston area late summer.
> >       • Scott: To work with Peter to identify conferences to target for
> New York/Boston late summer.
> >       • Tabled: Doc sprint in Amsterdam, with Frontiers conference in
> October.
> > Next meeting
> >
> > We'll hold another meeting next week to discuss progress on actions and
> tabled items.
> >
> >
> > Minutes
> >
> > 10:10 AM — julee present
> > 10:12 AM <scottrowe_> present
> > 10:12 AM — jswisher is present
> > 10:12 AM <shepazu> present
> > 10:12 AM <waiseto> present
> > 10:12 AM → Ryan_Lane joined (~Ryan_Lane@wikimedia/Ryan-lane)
> > 10:13 AM <scottrowe_> first decision: we'll keep this time and bridge
> > 10:13 AM <scottrowe_> Doug will make sure that the old conference
> number, 3627 is valid
> > 10:15 AM <scottrowe_>
> http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/WPD:Projects/Communications/Universities
> > 10:17 AM <scottrowe_> University outreach: Julee edited the above
> > 10:18 AM <scottrowe_> jkomoros mentioned that there may be internship
> money available.
> > 10:23 AM <scottrowe_> AI: Julee to confirm with Doug, Alex that we have
> a program in place before we advertise it in public-webplatform-news.
> > 10:23 AM <scottrowe_> It may be a Google Summer of Code or like program.
> > 10:24 AM → jay_ joined (57bd77b9@gateway/web/freenode/ip.87.189.119.185)
> > 10:25 AM <scottrowe_> jswisher: Summer of Code excludes documentation
> work
> > 10:32 AM <scottrowe_> AI: Wei to send note to Web Education group of
> W3C, requesting subscriptions to public-webplatform-news, with the body of
> Julee's Universities note.
> > 10:43 AM <scottrowe_> AI: Julee to create an internal (not shared
> publicly) spreadsheet of addresses.
> > 10:46 AM <scottrowe_> AI: All to contribute recruits to the spreadsheet.
> > 10:46 AM <julee> W3C university members
> > 10:46 AM <scottrowe_> AI: shepazu to contact Universities that are
> members of W3C
> > 10:46 AM <waiseto> http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Member/List :)
> > 10:47 AM <scottrowe_> jswisher: English writing programs, technical
> communication, engineering.
> > 10:50 AM <scottrowe_> next topic, doc sprints
> > 10:50 AM <scottrowe_> shepazu: would like to know who can help with an
> east coast doc sprint
> > 10:51 AM <scottrowe_> julee: question on the suitability of OpenHelp
> > 10:52 AM <scottrowe_> jswisher: OpenHelp does not attract a lot of web
> developers
> > 10:52 AM <scottrowe_> shepazu: we would need to reruit our own attendees
> > 10:56 AM <scottrowe_> shepazu: attending with Mozilla would build ties
> between us and Moz
> > 10:56 AM <scottrowe_> shepazu: might be an opportunity to build content
> on both sites
> > 10:58 AM <julee> https://www.internetweekny.com/
> > 11:01 AM <julee>
> http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/WPD:Community/Community_Events
> > 11:01 AM <scottrowe_> resolved: Doc Sprint at OpenHelp contingent upon
> Mozilla's participation.
> > 11:02 AM <scottrowe_> Meeting adjourned
> >
> > [1]
> http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/WPD:Projects/Communications/Universities
> > [2] https://www.internetweekny.com/
> >
> > --
> > Patrick D'Souza Developer, Metrics About.com | Do more 1500 Broadway,
> 6th Floor New York, NY, 10036 AIM: padsouza
>
>
>
Received on Wednesday, 17 April 2013 19:51:35 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 8 May 2013 19:57:42 UTC