Re: Scope and relevance: Mime Type setup for HTML5 video

Hi Carlos!

I think this is a great idea. I would also love to see someone cover the best way to encode video and audio for use on the web, to cover some of the more spotty and annoying problems you can come across (for example making MP4 play on Andoid devices - see Peter Gasston's aticle at http://www.broken-links.com/2010/07/08/making-html5-video-work-on-android-phones/)

We already have http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/concepts/internet_and_web/mime_types, and I think this is a good thing. "General concepts" (http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/concepts) is a good place to put such information, as it could be useful in a variety of situations, not just HTML <video>/<audio>

You could perhaps add some background information to that and help clean up that page.

And then if you wanted to add tutorials specific to mime type setup and encoding video and audio for HTML5, I'd put them at something like

http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/html/tutorials/video_and_audio_mime_type
http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/html/tutorials/encoding_video_and_audio_for_html5

Does that make sense?

Chris Mills
Opera Software, dev.opera.com
W3C Fellow, web education and webplatform.org
Author of "Practical CSS3: Develop and Design" (http://goo.gl/AKf9M)