Re: Making webplatform.org skin publicly available?

Hi, folks-

On 4/3/13 5:22 AM, Tobie Langel wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 3, 2013 at 10:16 AM, Chris Mills wrote:
>>
>> On 2 Apr 2013, at 20:31, Ryan Lane <rlane32@gmail.com
>> (mailto:rlane32@gmail.com)> wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 5:55 AM, Tobie Langel <tobie@fb.com
>>> (mailto:tobie@fb.com)> wrote: If by "skin" you mean actual design
>>> (color palette, typography, etc.), this should certainly be
>>> open-sourced for outside contributions, but also protected
>>> against being re-used as is elsewhere (which would dilute the
>>> brand).
>>>
>>> It's basically impossible to open source something, then disallow
>>> its use. If we distribute the skin we just have to accept other
>>> sites will look like webplatform.
>> Too true.
>
> So I'm not familiar with how the skinning precisely works here. But
> maybe we could open-source all of it except for a config file
> containing the font choice and color scheme?

I'm torn on this.

On the one hand, I'd like to share the techniques we used (which
involved some rather acrobatic leaps), and I want the community to be
able to help with the skinning.

On the other hand, I don't want someone to just copy the whole skin...
especially since they can also copy all the content, we don't want
copycat sites (I've already seen one pop up that just mirrors our site).

Maybe a social solution is best... we open it up, publish everything,
but ask people not to copy our colors, background images, or font choices?

Regards-
-Doug