Template limits and server loads

From: Taylor Costello <nottaylorcostello@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 12:20:53 -0600
To: public-webplatform@w3.org
Hi everyone!

I've noticed on some pages, people are using Template:! when they don't
need to. Please keep in mind that if you don't need to use the piping
template, then don't, it's usually only needed if the coding is clashing
with the wiki markup, otherwise just using wiki markup should work fine.
Try testing wiki markup before resorting to the template (by using the
preview button). Most wikis have template limits, and once you go over
them, any page with Template:! on it is going to break and be sorted into a
bad category via MediaWiki, it also goops up the servers and causes a very
heavy load.

Of course, if our wiki (Docs) has no template limits, this doesn't really
matter, but using a template when you don't need to still causes a lot
of unnecessary load.

*Try wiki markup first, use work-around templates second.*