Re: #webplatform IRC policy

From: <jonathan@garbee.me>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 08:47:06 -0400
To: <public-webplatform@w3.org>

I think we should also add a small snippet explaining we aren't for
general support on the chat page. I created an example page at
http://test.jonathangarbee.com/ to be looked over. This way people know
upfront where they can go for support and will hopefully not need to be
said as much in the room.

On 11.10.2012 02:12am,
Chris Mills wrote:

> I've just changed the line in the topic
"WebPlatform: ask and answer questions about web development and design"
to "Support and conversation about webplatform.org" - hopefully this
will help.
> Chris Mills
> Open standards evangelist and
dev.opera.com editor, Opera Software
> Co-chair, web education community
group, W3C

standards technologies and techniques: http://dev.opera.com
Contribute to web education: http://www.w3.org/community/webed/
> On
11 Oct 2012, at 06:43, Paul Irish <paul.irish@gmail.com> wrote:
Currently, the topic in #webplatform indicates it should be used for
support for web development and design. I think we should change this.
I'd rather see #webplatform be for the community behind the site rather
than be a support channel for all things web development. * Currently
#css, ##javascript, #html5, #svg, #html, #jquery and #web address
support issues * Capturing all their combined scope doesn't scale for a
single channel, but more importantly people who give answers in support
channels prefer more niche topic areas and can get burnt out with too
much off-topic questioning * We have a lot of work to do to firm up the
content and using IRC as a place to sync on those efforts will
supplement the list and ticket traffic. Both Chris Mills and Divya, have
indicated in other threads a sense of support fatigue already in the
channel. I've noticed this as well. I'd like to use the channel as
realtime supplement to this list as well as a means to cultivate
community with incoming folks and quickly get them involved. (As a note
for list member who havent been on IRC, we've quickly gained a stable
community of ~200 people, and found some of our largest contributors
there) _ Paul