Re: #webplatform IRC policy

I think we should also add a small snippet explaining we aren't for
general support on the chat page. I created an example page at
http://test.jonathangarbee.com/ to be looked over. This way people know
upfront where they can go for support and will hopefully not need to be
said as much in the room.

Thanks,

Garbee

On 11.10.2012 02:12am,
Chris Mills wrote:

> I've just changed the line in the topic
"WebPlatform: ask and answer questions about web development and design"
to "Support and conversation about webplatform.org" - hopefully this
will help.

> Chris Mills
> Open standards evangelist and
dev.opera.com editor, Opera Software
> Co-chair, web education community
group, W3C
(http://my.opera.com/chrismills/blog/2012/07/12/practical-css3-my-book-is-finally-published)

standards technologies and techniques: http://dev.opera.com
Contribute to web education: http://www.w3.org/community/webed/

> On
11 Oct 2012, at 06:43, Paul Irish <paul.irish@gmail.com> wrote:

Currently, the topic in #webplatform indicates it should be used for
support for web development and design. I think we should change this.
I'd rather see #webplatform be for the community behind the site rather
than be a support channel for all things web development. * Currently
#css, ##javascript, #html5, #svg, #html, #jquery and #web address
support issues * Capturing all their combined scope doesn't scale for a
single channel, but more importantly people who give answers in support
channels prefer more niche topic areas and can get burnt out with too
much off-topic questioning * We have a lot of work to do to firm up the
content and using IRC as a place to sync on those efforts will
supplement the list and ticket traffic. Both Chris Mills and Divya, have
indicated in other threads a sense of support fatigue already in the
channel. I've noticed this as well. I'd like to use the channel as
realtime supplement to this list as well as a means to cultivate
community with incoming folks and quickly get them involved. (As a note
for list member who havent been on IRC, we've quickly gained a stable
community of ~200 people, and found some of our largest contributors
there) _ Paul