Re: Search-optimising "wpd"

From: Chris Mills <cmills@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 09:47:21 +0100
Cc: public-webplatform@w3.org
To: Jake Archibald <jaffathecake@gmail.com>

> (Yep, I'm starting a thread about SEO, I've just been sick in my mouth)

Really Jake, I'm ashamed - leave the hall! ;-)

> MDN is such a great resource that I've found myself searching "mdn <a
> topic>" in Google as a first port of call, or to quickly reach an MDN
> page I'm already familiar with. Wikipedia gets similar treatment with
> "wiki <whatever>".
>
> Web Platform Docs needs something like that, WPD is already used in
> pages, but not enough (as far as I can tell) to make it work in
> searches.
>
> Basically, I want "wpd gradents" to return me the Web Platform Docs
> about CSS & SVG gradients.

Seriously though - you are bang on the money here - it would be great to achieve the same SEO status with WPD, that MDN enjoys. I do the same as you, when looking up JS syntax.

I'll file a bug to remind us stewards to look into this.

Chris Mills
Open standards evangelist and dev.opera.com editor, Opera Software
Co-chair, web education community group, W3C
Author of "Practical CSS3: Develop and Design" (http://my.opera.com/chrismills/blog/2012/07/12/practical-css3-my-book-is-finally-published)

* Try Opera: http://www.opera.com
* Learn about the latest open standards technologies and techniques: http://dev.opera.com
* Contribute to web education: http://www.w3.org/community/webed/