W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-webplatform@w3.org > November 2012

Minutes: Community Telcon, 27-11-2012

From: Chris Mills <cmills@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 17:55:48 +0000
Cc: "public-webplatform@w3.org" <public-webplatform@w3.org>
Message-Id: <D8E814C1-7B78-43B7-AFD0-8D65907BF602@opera.com>
To: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
chrismills:scribenick chrismills
[5:06pm]chrismills:Topic 1: going through actions
[5:06pm] jswisher joined the chat room.
[5:06pm] peterlubbers joined the chat room.
[5:06pm]chrismills:a. Alex to implement actions stuff on Wiki. He hasn't got there yet, but will do it later this week
[5:07pm]shepazu:ACTION: jkomoros to implement the above stuff about attributes
[5:07pm]shepazu:ACTION: Shepazu to write up wiki page on proposal for caniuse, quirks mode, etc, and send to list
[5:07pm]shepazu:ACTION: Paul to do further investigation into feasibility of markdown tool
[5:07pm]shepazu:ACTION: shepazu to write up a guide on how to do translations by hand and send e-mails to the list
[5:07pm]shepazu:ACTION: shepazu to lock it down so that only admins can move pages
[5:07pm]shepazu:ACTION: Peter to follow up with evangelization of WPD docsprint at Google
[5:07pm]shepazu:ACTION: shepazu to approach Event Apart/John Alsup folks about doing a WPD docsprint
[5:07pm]shepazu:ACTION: Doug to make progress towards hosting skin on GitHub
[5:07pm]shepazu:ACTION: Shepazu to post a proposal to the list about the different options for title
[5:07pm]shepazu:ACTION: Peter to fill in Sprint in a Box for docsprints.
[5:07pm]shepazu:ACTION: jkomoros to formally being Template Corps
[5:07pm]shepazu:ACTION: Garbee to set up a test version of Bug Genie
[5:07pm]shepazu:ACTION: Garbee to try to loop in BugGenie contributors for a discussion
[5:07pm]shepazu:ACTION: Everyone to provide feedback on Garbee's issue tracking proposal.
[5:08pm]chrismills:NEW ACTION: jkomoros to implement the above stuff about attributes
[5:09pm]chrismills:New ACTION: Shepazu to write up wiki page on proposal for caniuse, quirks mode, etc, and send to list
[5:09pm]chrismills:NEW ACTION: Paul to do further investigation into feasibility of markdown tool (still an action, Paul not here)
[5:09pm]chrismills:NEW ACTION: shepazu to write up a guide on how to do translations by hand and send e-mails to the list (still in progress)
[5:09pm]chrismills:ACTION: shepazu to lock it down so that only admins can move pages - COMPLETED
[5:10pm]chrismills:NEW ACTION: Peter to follow up with evangelization of WPD docsprint at Google - STILL ONGOING
[5:10pm]chrismills:Peter - also has actions to write blog posts about the doc sprints, e.g. the Dec 12th event in mountain view
[5:11pm]chrismills:Doug will set Peter up with an account so he can write WP blogs
[5:11pm]chrismills:Peter - signup page now exists for new event, Dec 12th
[5:11pm]chrismills:Peter requests that we make our teams aware of this, internally
[5:12pm] desbenoit left the chat room. (Ping timeout: 260 seconds)
[5:12pm]chrismills:Peter - also advertising this around user groups, and local dev communities
[5:13pm]chrismills:Peter - Eliot and Milo interested in running doc sprints, and others. Let's have a meeting to help organise the doc sprint
[5:13pm]chrismills:ACTION - organize doc sprint meeting, continue work there
[5:13pm]Garbee:I will be back in a bit.
[5:13pm]chrismills:ACTION: shepazu to approach Event Apart/John Alsup folks about doing a WPD docsprint. AEA people get to be contacted, but Doug has already started a conversation with John Allsopp
[5:14pm]chrismills:ACTION: Doug to make progress towards hosting skin on GitHub - UPDATE - Doug has made progess on this, but needs to confer with Alex about best place to do this; Fr0zenice has looked at some of this stuff as well, in terms of what he wants to help with.
[5:14pm] desbenoit joined the chat room.
[5:15pm]chrismills:ACTION: Shepazu to post a proposal to the list about the different options for title - progress made, but needs to wait for Ryan to get back off vacation
[5:15pm]jkomoros:chrismills: We should make sure to keep any action that's not fully done, like "deploy new title organization"
[5:16pm]chrismills:NEW ACTION: Peter to fill in Sprint in a Box for docsprints. Still needs to be finished, but progress has been made, Andre from Adobe helped him out
[5:16pm]chrismills:Peter - should be able to finish first draft of material for this my next week
[5:16pm]chrismills:Doug - shoudl say upfront what resources you will need to run one of these events
[5:17pm]chrismills:NEW ACTION: jkomoros to formally begin Template Corps - Alex says not done yet, but he will do this before the end of the week
[5:17pm]chrismills:ACTION: Garbee to set up a test version of Bug Genie
[5:17pm]chrismills:[5:07pm] shepazu:ACTION: Garbee to try to loop in BugGenie contributors for a discussion
[5:18pm]chrismills:crap, scratch last two lines
[5:18pm]chrismills:ACTION: Garbee to continue working on this, moving in different direction now
[5:18pm]Garbee:Sorry, I can't talk atm
[5:19pm]Garbee:Yea, Right now we should work on focusing things.  We can worry about skins and things later.
[5:19pm]desbenoit:No problem Garbee
[5:19pm]desbenoit:Ok Garbee
[5:19pm]chrismills:Sebastien offered help with working on skins for issue tracker later on, when we are ready
[5:19pm]chrismills:NEW ACTION - keep going on issue tracker project
[5:19pm]chrismills:END OF ACTION RECAP
[5:20pm]chrismills:shepazu: Intel now WP steward, they can on board very recently
[5:20pm]chrismills:shepazu: let's welcome Intel!
[5:20pm]chrismills:shepazu: they are the first new steward since the initial announcement
[5:20pm]Garbee:desbenoit, Helping with the skin would be great.  First we just need to get to a decision on what tools we are going to actually use.  I'm trying to get that conversation focused and cleaned up so things can be smoother here on out.
[5:20pm]jswisher:welcome Intel!
[5:20pm]chrismills:yay, Intel.
[5:21pm]chrismills:Ooops, yaya - intel!!! (first one sounded really sarcastic)
[5:21pm]chrismills:AGENDA ITEM 1: Julee to recap content taskforce
[5:21pm]chrismills:Julee - they met last week
[5:21pm]chrismills:work on URL scheme
[5:21pm]chrismills:worked*
[5:21pm]chrismills:there are still issues on this issue
[5:22pm]chrismills:do we still have regular Content TF meet?
[5:22pm]chrismills:Doug: yes, but he has conflicting meet at that time
[5:23pm]chrismills:Rest of content TF could meet anyway
[5:23pm] peterlubbers left the chat room. (Quit: peterlubbers)
[5:23pm]chrismills:Julee, Alex - let's have meeting anyway at 9am/12am/5pm wednesday
[5:23pm]chrismills:then send around doodle poll to work out better time going forward
[5:24pm]chrismills:ACTION - Julee to send around mail about tomorrow's Content TF meeting
[5:24pm]chrismills:AGENDA ITEM 2 - bug tracking issues
[5:25pm]chrismills:Garbee - things are messy right now with the bug tracker
[5:25pm]chrismills:what do we want to achieve right now?
[5:25pm]Garbee:http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webplatform/2012Nov/0196.html
[5:26pm]chrismills:Garbee - leave this open for 2-3 days to see if anyone gives any new ideas
[5:26pm]chrismills:then he will start to look at different pieces of software to work out what is best to use for this purpose
[5:26pm]chrismills:Garbee: any more thoughts?
[5:27pm]chrismills:Doug : trust Garbee's opinion and work  on this
[5:27pm]chrismills:Let's leave Garbee free to explore this space and come up with a colution
[5:27pm]chrismills:s/colution/solution
[5:28pm]chrismills:Doug: just try not to get too frustrated and bogged down in details
[5:28pm] peterlubbers joined the chat room.
[5:28pm]chrismills:Garbee - already frustrated, but now at a point where he can move forward
[5:28pm]chrismills:shepazu: anyone have a different opinion?
[5:29pm]chrismills:[the silence is taken as no  ]
[5:29pm]NotTomato:
[5:29pm]chrismills:Garbee: Bugzilla = evil.
[5:29pm]Garbee:Horrible morning with Bugzilla installs.
[5:29pm]chrismills:not installing that again
[5:29pm]chrismills:AGENDA ITEM 3: Docsprint, Dec 12
[5:29pm]chrismills:shepazu: anything else to add?
[5:30pm]NotTomato:Fix the sessions.
[5:30pm]chrismills:AGENDA ITEM 4 - getting milestones and clear roles sorted out for the whole project
[5:31pm]chrismills:comes out of mail Chris sent to list
[5:31pm]chrismills:a number of people have said they want clarify on this
[5:34pm]Garbee:I could easily make Bugzilla work as a milestone tracker.  It is just UX sucks for it.
[5:34pm]chrismills:alex - some of this will come out of Garbee's work
[5:34pm]chrismills:getting a better bug tracker will be good
[5:35pm]chrismills:alex - also a lot of stuff seems to be in content
[5:35pm]chrismills:perhaps we should work to define roles more clearly inside the content area specifically
[5:35pm]chrismills:we did start this with the what we're working on page
[5:35pm]chrismills:so yes, clearly defined project owners, etc.
[5:36pm]chrismills:search is a mess
[5:36pm]chrismills:but there is a project around this too
[5:36pm]chrismills:keep large projects as umbrella covering a number of bugs
[5:36pm]chrismills:Eliot: there is a hybrid approach here that could work
[5:37pm]chrismills:there is a need to have someone as content lead to report back and keep track of where everything is going, plus we also need to have set milestones
[5:37pm]chrismills:and work with those as well
[5:38pm]chrismills:shepazu: need to work on permissions too. e.g. content editor needs to be admin?
[5:38pm]chrismills:shepazu: also agree with Eliot about needing to have milestones
[5:39pm]chrismills:shepazu: next step should be to go on the wiki and list milestones for the next however long, see how it can work?
[5:40pm]chrismills:Alex - ultimately we need an owner for setting different pieces, and working out who needs to do those.
[5:41pm]chrismills:shepazu: small ammendment - make wiki page, then list 10 or so milestones that we really need to do, then encourage others to add their own
[5:42pm]chrismills:ACTION: Chris to do this
[5:42pm]chrismills:write up wiki page on roles and milestones, send e-mail to list
[5:42pm]chrismills:END OF AGENDA ITEMS
[5:43pm]chrismills:Peter mentioned statistics - there is a wiki page that shows the current month's statistics
[5:43pm]chrismills:(is that right?)
[5:43pm]Garbee:Yup.
[5:43pm]Garbee:http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/Special:Statistics
[5:43pm]chrismills:1.8M page views
[5:43pm]chrismills:wooof.
[5:44pm]chrismills:most viewed pages are landing pages for CSS, etc.
[5:44pm]chrismills:and beginner's guide
[5:44pm] Ryan_Lane left the chat room. (Quit: Leaving.)
[5:44pm]chrismills:registered users ~ 13,000
[5:44pm]chrismills:127 active users
[5:45pm]chrismills:this has gone down, which is to be expected really?
[5:45pm]chrismills:once roles and milestones are done, one person could take on recruiting contributors as a task
[5:46pm]chrismills:and start getting specific people to come on board to work on say CSS, JS, etc.
[5:46pm]chrismills:ACTION: shepazu - send summary to mailing list of everything he can find
[5:47pm]chrismills:shepazu: by looking at statistics each week, we can record our ow trends
[5:47pm]chrismills:s/ow/own
[5:47pm]chrismills:AOB?
[5:47pm]Garbee:https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=19390
[5:47pm]chrismills:Garbee: session handling issues need to be fixed
[5:48pm]chrismills:shepazu: when making roles and milestones, please note down this issue as a priority to be dealt with
[5:49pm]chrismills:ACTION: Chris note to session handling issues on milestones
[5:49pm]Garbee:Which page?
[5:49pm]chrismills:sebastien - lock down Q&A page? There seems to be viagra ads and stuff creeping in
[5:49pm]chrismills:shepazu: how do we feel about spam? Lock stuff down, or keep them open and deal with the spam?
[5:49pm]Garbee:Which Q&A page?
[5:50pm]chrismills:Garbee: I'm not sure
[5:50pm]chrismills:shepazu: having spam around for a day or so is not so bad
[5:50pm]chrismills:but we should have an anti spam task force
[5:50pm]Garbee:If it is in the Wiki then it is just something we deal with.  If the actual Q&A system then I try to monitor that all day.
[5:50pm]chrismills:spam spam spam spam ...
[5:50pm]Garbee:I haven't seen any bad ads in there, except in the filter that I don't allow to be posted.
[5:50pm]desbenoit:Yes it is Garbee
[5:51pm]chrismills:ACTION: Chris to add something about spam taskforce in the roles/milestones
[5:51pm]chrismills:AGENDA ITEM FOR NEXT WEEK: spam
[5:51pm]chrismills:calendar issue - christmas and new year. we should have these two days off 
[5:52pm]chrismills:from meetings...
[5:52pm]chrismills:thanks all, meeting OVER.
[5:52pm]jswisher:bye!
[5:52pm]desbenoit:bye!
[5:52pm] jkomoros left the chat room. (Quit: jkomoros)

Chris Mills
Open standards evangelist and dev.opera.com editor, Opera Software
Co-chair, web education community group, W3C
Author of "Practical CSS3: Develop and Design" (http://my.opera.com/chrismills/blog/2012/07/12/practical-css3-my-book-is-finally-published)

* Try Opera: http://www.opera.com
* Learn about the latest open standards technologies and techniques: http://dev.opera.com
* Contribute to web education: http://www.w3.org/community/webed/

On 26 Nov 2012, at 01:51, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org> wrote:

> Hi, folks-
> 
> Our telcon this week will be at the regular time, on Tuesday 27 November, at 16:00 UTC / 12:00 ET / 9:00 PT, on the regular phone line and IRC channel [1].
> 
> I'll chair the call... can I get a volunteer to scribe?
> 
> Agenda:
> * Review of open action items
> * Content Task Force summary
> * Issue / bug tracking [2]
> * Defining roles and milestones [3]
> * Any other topics?
> 
> [1] http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/WPD:Meetings
> [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webplatform/2012Nov/0196.html
> [3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webplatform/2012Nov/0176.html
> 
> Regards-
> -Doug Schepers
> W3C Developer Relations Lead
Received on Tuesday, 27 November 2012 17:56:25 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 8 May 2013 19:57:35 UTC