Re: Creating API pages

Thanks Mike - I really appreciate the help here! My bits in-line...

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 9:43 AM, Mike Sierra <
letmespellitoutforyou@gmail.com> wrote:

> Replies inlined "SIERRA":
>
> On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 12:12 PM, Scott Rowe <scottrowe@google.com> wrote:
> > Thanks Mike!
> > I'd like to add some clarification, if I may...
> >

> > On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 7:59 AM, Mike Sierra
> > <letmespellitoutforyou@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Re "Action Item", Along with Julee, I plan to assemble a list of URLs
> >> based on interface declarations in a generous sample of W3C specs,
> >> with comments noting any items I run across that don't fit into the
> >> structure discussed in the meeting.  It appears throughout the
> >> meeting, I was unclear about the purpose of <apilist>, which was
> >> reflected in my notes for the action item. Let me clarify
> >> terminology:
> >>
> >> /apis/apiName/apiInterface/(property|method|event)
> >

> > Is this change in terminology necessary? We were working from this:
> >
> > apis/<apilist>/<apiObject>/<event|method|property>
>
> SIERRA: Provisional change in terminology b/c I misunderstood
> somewhere along the way what <apilist> meant.  Came into the thread
> midstream, so sorry if I missed the details.

'Sokay! This is a long thread. A tl;dr if ever there was one! The original
proposal is here:
WPD:Creating_API_pages<http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/WPD:Creating_API_pages>.
I'm in the midst of updating this for all of the issues resolved thus far.
It will be a lot easier to read once I'm done.

> >> * Where appropriate, note the DOM node used to access each interface
> >>   object: document, navigator, window, video, audio, etc.
> >

> > Worth a try! If we can come up with something slicker than just a link in
> > the description, I'm all for it.
> >

> >> On this last point, perhaps remaining elements within dom/apis could
> >> then link back? I understand this will be the place for the remaining
> set
> >> of core DOM APIs.
> >

> > I'm not sure what you mean here.
>
> SIERRA: Maybe I misunderstood the thread, but what I have in mind is
> ubiquitous DOM APIs such as classlist & dataset. Would these be under
> dom/ or apis/ ?

Ah, I see. Those go under dom. We have elected to make a distinction
between DOM and APIs because giving APIs like WebRTC or IndexedDB their own
namespace makes them easier to locate. It also allows us to focus on
solidifying the architecture of these APIs so that we can continue building
out the documentation for them. Of course, we will continue to build out
the dom namespace as well, but considerations for that namespace should be
made independently of the considerations for the apis namespace. The dom
namespace is just a whole lot bigger and more complex, and if we made the
apis namespace considerations dependent on the dom namespace
considerations, we might never be able to document things like WebRTC and
Web Audio API.

> >> --Mike Sierra
> >

> > Thanks Mike!
> > +Scott