Re: [Content] - Compatibility Tables everywhere?

Awesome, thanks Alex. I think we need to say what the centralized
place to pull tables from is, say for HTML Elements it is their
appropriate element page. That way there is one central place to do
updates which will then be referred to on the rest of the pages. That
way we don't have a web of reference tables being made.

-Garbee

On
03.11.2012 08:04pm, Alex Komoroske wrote:

> I just implemented this at
the hackathon.
> It is now possible to add "Imported compatibility
tables" to pages. You just specify the page you want to lift the
compatibility table from, and a reference to it is automatically
included in the page. You can choose to import multiple compatibility
tables.
> THIS IS NOW THE PREFERRED WAY OF HANDLING COMPATIBILITY ON
TUTORIAL/GUIDE/CONCEPT/ETC ARTICLES. The canonical compatibility
information should exist on the specific reference articles, and then be
included via this mechanism into related tutorial pages.
> The
usability around this in the form is TERRIBLE right now; it's very
unclear what the difference is between imported and non-imported compat
tables, and when you should use either. If anyone has any ideas on how
the editing experience should be I can implement it in the form
definition[1].
> --Alex
> [1]
http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/Template:Compatibility_Form_Section
[6]

<jswisher@mozilla.com [7]> wrote:

>> This would be really helpful for
translation, so that the table is maintained only once.

10/19/12 4:52 PM, Alex Komoroske wrote:

>>> In an ideal world I
think we'd have some way of grabbing a compatibility table from one
article and transcluding it in another. That would allow us to have the
canonical data on the specific reference page for each feature and then
just dynamically include it on other articles where it's relevant (like
on articles). This should theoretically be possible with semantic media
wiki queries and properties.

<jonathan@garbee.me [3]> wrote:

> [...]
tables [1] to be anywhere or do we want them to be centralized in an
area (such as the elements page)?

centralize them in order to create less maintenance later on. If we have
tables in any page for elements listed then it isn't going to be easy
later on to update them if needed and could cause confusion on where to
get the information. I am thinking we should centralize them under the
element itself [2] to solve these possible issues.

example table:
http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/guides/html_text#Compatibility [1]

http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/html/elements/em [2]

Thoughts?