That annoying duplicate <h1> issue

From: Chris Mills <cmills@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 11:35:46 +0000
To: "public-webplatform@w3.org" <public-webplatform@w3.org>
I was just thinking about that annoying issue we've got, where we have duplicate <h1>s on a page: one of my personal pet peeves.

The auto generated <h1> has got a class of firstHeading (and an ID the same, for that matter). If just put

.firstHeading { display: none; }

In common.css, surely that would get rid of our issue?

I haven't done it yet, because I thought I'd just check that it wouldn't ruin anything on the site first. It does mean that we'd need to make sure titles are manually added to all pages (via =a manual h1=, or by using the title for field in the form templates.)

Thoughts?

Chris Mills
Opera Software, dev.opera.com
W3C Fellow, web education and webplatform.org
Author of "Practical CSS3: Develop and Design" (http://goo.gl/AKf9M)