Re: Web Platform Involvement Ideas

On 10 Dec 2012, at 14:59, Nic da Costa <njr.dacosta@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey All
>
> I have a few ideas that i would like to bounce around with how to improve/increase enthusiasm and participation with the Web Platform and the docs.

Hi Nic! Thanks for sharing your ideas.

> I know dabblet is currently being integrated into Web Platform and I thought that when this is released, that there could be another virtual doc sprint held to promote the new feature and at the same time, add new or enhance any existing docs. It could be seen as somewhat of a "launch" event. With this in mind, also to look at having a possible Google+ hangout with several dev rels to "show off" all of the new features, chat about contributing, how to go about it and to get the doc sprint started. As i have noticed that whenever there is a hangout / video / live stream of an event, there is generally a lot more enthusiasm surrounding the event and website as well as people are more keen to participate.

I do think it'd be a nice idea to have a "code example" doc sprint, where we get a load of examples added to existing pages.

> Lastly, I briefly chatted about this with some people in the IRC channel, but maybe look at leveraging Google+ more by creating a community with the existing Google+ page? I am still not certain if this is entirely needed as this would somewhat mimic the Q&A feature already available on the website, but would in the same breadth bring in a lot more "foot traffic" as there are already numerous users who frequent Google+ on a regular basis and could thus contribute / ask questions.

I suppose it'd work well in terms of casual users happening upon it, rather than people having to make a conscious effort to find it. But one problem would be that this would mean _another_ place to frequent and maintain. And we've had enough criticism about that already, with the properties we've already got. So it would maybe require some careful thinking.