From: Janet Swisher <jswisher@mozilla.com<mailto:jswisher@mozilla.com>>
Date: Friday, December 7, 2012 4:00 PM
To: "public-webplatform@w3.org<mailto:public-webplatform@w3.org>" <public-webplatform@w3.org<mailto:public-webplatform@w3.org>>
Subject: Standards status categories

Starting a new thread, as suggested. If there's interest, we can discuss in a Content call.

I'd like if we could define these categories as objectively as possible. "Stable" is a useful concept for web developers, but hard to pin down. Technologies with the same official standardization status can vary widely in their level of stability (rate of change). Any ideas on how to tackle that?

Of the values listed on http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/Property:Standardization_Status I'd like to collapse "Experimental" into "Non-Standard". "Aim to one day be a standard" is not a property of a technology; it is an intention of an organization of human beings, and therefore prone to politics. Therefore, I suggest using "Non-standard" for anything that can be freely used, and doesn't have at least two compatible implementations. The intentions of the proposing organization can be explained on the overview page for the technology.

I would define "Proprietary" as something that has restrictions on its use (such as patent liability or a required, non-openly-licensed toolkit); things in this category are generally not considered appropriate for this site.