Re: WebPlatform Browser Support phased approach?

It's OK. I've ran into Jean-Yves here at the London Office, and he
brought me into contact with some of his american collegues. A bug has
been filed to have the data be available as JSON, but it seems like
their raw data are indeed the HTML-tables, so either way it would mean
parsing that data. Either on their side, or on our side. There have been
talks about extracting that data to machine-readable, but for now that's
likely to be in the future.

As for the MediaWiki extension: can you send me an example or spec of
the precise JSON-formatting it expects?

What might be a solution for now:

- Use MediaWiki and JSON (and all benefits) when CIU/H5T data is
available
- Bypass MediaWiki and show the MDN table if no CIU/H5T data is
available

That way a lot of properties would still have the MW extension, just
the entries that we don't have CIU/H5T data for would have to resort to
the MDN-fallback.

By simply looking at the analytics-data for the pages, we can always
decide to manually provide MDN-JSON for pages with high request-rates,
until a good parser has been written.

I've come a long way parsing the MDN-data to JSON, the main problem is
that some of the key-data is lumped together in 1 table-cell. So it's
hard to extract that data in a correct way. I am trying however, just
not sure about the right way to do so. (Part of the current solution is
replacing a <br> with a textnode with a specific string, so I have a
textual marker in the nodeValue where I can split the text on. Parsing
this data really does feel like clutching at straws to get somewhere at
times...

Let me know if the fallback-option would be feasible (I'm not too
familiar with the current set-up of the servers etc, so I can't really
make a call on that one), or that I should continue parsing the table to
JSON.

Ronald