Re: WebPlatform Browser Support Info

Tobie Langel schreef op 2013-10-19 14:54:
> On Saturday, October 19, 2013 at 2:14 PM, Niels Leenheer wrote:
>> On Oct 19, 2013, at 7:50 AM, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org
>> (mailto:schepers@w3.org)> wrote:
>>> URLs can still be unique, especially if we concatenate:
>>>
>>> {
>>> "uuid":"http://data.webplatform.org/browser/ie/9/windows",
>>> "browser":"Internet Explorer",
>>> "vendor":"Microsoft",
>>> "version":"9",
>>> "os":"windows",
>>> }
>>>
>>> ... or:
>>>
>>> {
>>> "uuid":"http://data.webplatform.org/browser/chrome/30.0.1599.69/osx",
>>> "browser":"Chrome",
>>> "vendor":"Google",
>>> "version":"30.0.1599.69",
>>> "os":"osx",
>>> }
>>>
>>> Those URLS are longer than the UUIDs you proposed, but they are
>>> human readable, unique, rather intuitive, and flexible.
>>

>> Ooh. I like this. We do need to create a registry with browser names
>> and os names, to ensure everybody uses the same urls.
>> Perhaps we can add one more level for platform type and one for
>> manufacturer/model?
>>
>> Then it would be flexible enough to do thinks like:
>>
>> http://data.webplatform.org/browser/desktop/chrome/30
>> http://data.webplatform.org/browser/desktop/chrome/30/osx
>> http://data.webplatform.org/browser/desktop/chrome/30/osx/10.8
>>
>> Or:
>>
>> http://data.webplatform.org/browser/mobile/android/4.2
>> http://data.webplatform.org/browser/mobile/android/4.2/samsung
>> http://data.webplatform.org/browser/mobile/android/4.2/samsung/galaxy-s3
>>
>> Or:
>>
>> http://data.webplatform.org/browser/mobile/chrome/30
>> http://data.webplatform.org/browser/mobile/chrome/30/android/4.2
>
> So what would these URLs actually point to?
>
> My feeling is you don't really want to consider this info as a data
> object in itself but as a filter, which is why I'd imagine it much
> more in a query string then in the url itself. E.g.: filtering the
> test results for test foobar:
>
> …/tests/foobar?browser=chrome&device-manufacturer=samsung&device-family=galaxy&device-model=s3
>
> --tobie

At this point I have made no assumptions on where those URL's link to,
other then that those URL's will always reply with a 301 to a document
with more information. Whether that is the w3c or whatwg-spec in case of
features, a page on mobilehtml5.org that tells more about the device or
browser, or some other page that explains what it is we're talking about
remains to be decided. However, because we use dedicated URL's on
data.webplatform.org, those URL's (and thus the identifier) can stay the
same, while the redirect can change whenever needed, ie when a feature
is moved from spec A to spec B.

Ronald