Re: WebPlatform Browser Support Info

On Thursday, October 17, 2013 at 10:19 PM, Ronald Mansveld wrote:
> Hi all,
> As Doug mentioned in the earlier email, I'm currently writing the spec for the datamodel to exchange compatibility data.
> The first draft can be found on: http://webplatform.ronaldmansveld.nl/compat_tables_datamodel.html.
>
> Currently my main concern is the matching of features, tests and browsers that are used by the different datasources. I'm strongly opposed to string/name-based matching, since a simple typo could wreak havoc on the complete system. Hence the introduction of UUID's for those parts of the model. However, we need to find a way to make sure all sources use the same UUID's for the same data. If anyone has an idea on how to solve this problem, or has a better solution than using UUID's, hit me up!
>
> Ronald

Hi,

We've been using spec URLs to link features to test cases so far (e.g. the test for the XmlHttpRequest abort method[1] links to the abort method of the XHR spec[2]) why not continue using that method?

Likewise, test cases could be identified by their URL.

Finally, I'm not sure I understand the benefit of identifying browsers by UUID. (Aren't user agent strings good enough for that?)  For a coarser (and more useful) picture, won't version strings do?

--tobie
---
[1]: https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests/blob/master/XMLHttpRequest/abort-after-receive.htm
[2]: http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/xhr/raw-file/tip/Overview.html#the-abort()-method