Re: A first draft of the future Web Payments Interest group is available for comments

On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 4:59 PM, Joseph Potvin <jpotvin@opman.ca> wrote:
> On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 9:47 AM, Stephane Boyera <boyera@w3.org> wrote:
> > The case of cryptocurrencies or digital
> > currencies is more problematic. i got your point, and i agree with it,
> > however, this is quite a generic name, independently of the legal
status of
> > a currency or not isn't it?
> > Is there a way we could mention these emerging payment options through
the
> > use of a neutral word?
>
> [JRP1:]  A neutral term could be "electronic tokens" which can be a
> type of "electronic media of exchange" regardless of whether or not
> they are deemed to represent a currency in and of themselves  I wonder
> if anyone from the Ripple, Ven, Bitcoin+derivatives communities on
> these lists might let us know if my suggestion would bother them, or
> if it's a reasonable compromise considering the W3C's need (well, I
> reckon it's a need) to steer clear or taking sides in the ongoing
> juridical interpretations worldwide.

Cryptocurrency is the commonly used terminology. Event though the IRS
doesn't treat cryptocurrencies as legal currencies (which I suspect was the
case you were referring to, Joseph), it still calls them virtual
currencies[1]. So, I really don't think there's any issue with using
cryptocurrency in the context of the charter. Quite the contrary: it's
explicit.

--tobie

---
[1]: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-14-21.pdf