Re: Modeling a Ledger in RDF

On 28 May 2018 at 11:01, Andrew Bransford Brown <andrewbb@gmail.com> wrote:

> That looks like a good control structure to place events into a
> blockchain-style ledger.

Indeed.  I think since the invent of block chains the terms block chain and
ledger have become interchangeable.

As a first step I'm looking for a ledger, which in blockchain language
would be similar to the UTXO (Unspent Transaction Outputs)

> Regardless of where or how you store the events, I suggest these:
> http://promiselanguage.blogspot.com/2017/03/update-to-data-structure.html
>

> http://promiselanguage.blogspot.com/2016/07/contract-
> scripting-language-csl-example.html

Thx for sharing this, but this is transactions, rather than a ledger.  I do
want to model transactions too, but my first building block is a ledger.

> Those events have sufficient granularity to describe any currency or
> barter transaction.  They support contract law, plus multilateral
> agreements.  For example, a 1000-person equilateral contract for common
> property ownership or city residents is possible.
>
> (also see attached for examples of a stock trade and a barter trade)

This could be very useful as a workflow methodology, I like it!

A ledger is something like :

Alice <:amount> 1.2
Bob <:amount> 1056

The important question here is, what is the currency?

There's two ways to do that, with trade offs.

1. Associate each balance with a currency.  This has the advantage of
flexibility, but the disadvantage of forcing each line to be it's own data
structure.

2. Associate each ledger with a currency.

So I am reaching a conclusion that 2 is the simplest, most performant, most
easily query-able way to model this in RDF

This is how I modeled it in webcredits 1.0 [1] which I've tested over many
years.  It strikes me as an optimal solution as input to webcredits 2.0
which I will tweak slightly with what I've learnt, and to reuse the work
here.

[1] https://webcredits.github.io/spec/#ledgers