Re: Rebalancing How the Web is Built

On 12 September 2016 at 22:08, Roger Bass <roger@traxiant.com> wrote:

> Indeed.
>
> Even in the consumer world, some use cases (e.g. P2P, but not shopping)
> may have an API-enabled, non-browser app at both ends. Much as telecom
> flipped from voice, to data-over-voice, to voice-over-data, I suspect we
> will see a shift to API- and network-centric scenarios where browser
> interactions play a much smaller role. Network cases - where an app's user
> is effectively another app - may be particularly important. This may have
> large implications for early standards implementation and adoption
> dynamics. It seems as if the W3C still aspires to be the standards-setter
> for this larger Web Platform... but that's not a given.
>
> In the B2B world, the picture is even clearer: it's not about browsers.
> Some efforts are going on now to define the "Internet of Payments"
> standards, and perhaps a broader framework. W3C is not top of the list of
> relevant standards organizations. Implementations are more likely to depend
> initially on API-enabled connections into widely-deployed financial
> systems.  Ultimately, I suspect that it will make sense to align such an
> IoP effort with a broader-based Web Platform (even if browser use cases
> remain secondary).

The W3C is caught between a rock and a hard place.  If they dont listen to
the needs of their large members they run the risk of those players doing
their own thing and claiming the w3c is 'not relevant'.

It's up to the smaller members to counter balance the viewpiont, but that
doesnt happen, or isnt allowed to happen in some cases.

My personal view on this is rather jaded by an poor performance when
applying to join as an Invited Expert.  Having had to wait over 100 days,
then not being told if my application would be accepted, it was then
pointless to really participate.  I am quite sure had I been a rep for a
large company, some of which I have worked for, it would have been a
different story.

Community groups were a way to increase inclusion.  I think they have
worked quite well.  It's the nature of any process that those with fire
power are going to be tempted to game the system.  It's starting to happen
increasingly in standards as revenues get larger.  The only thing I would
suggest is that it's a losing strategy.  Because the web will be around for
decades if not centuries, and companies come and go.  Behaving in a heavy
handed way, may give a short term sugar rush, but the reduction in
longevity of that institution more than over compensates in the other
direction.

One nice thing about the w3c is that all votes are equal.  So, one person
getting involved can have a voice (all be it later in the process)
comparable to a big corp.  What is required from smaller players is to
stand up and be counted which doesnt happen as much as it could.