Re: Payments activity - any point to our time and effort?

On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 at 00:29 Adrian Hope-Bailie <adrian@hopebailie.com>
wrote:

> On 11 March 2016 at 14:12, Anders Rundgren <anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 2016-03-11 12:38, Adrian Hope-Bailie wrote:
>>
>> I disagree.
>>
>> What you are proposing is a generic open pipe between the execution
>> environment in the browser and native applications.
>>

>> Yes, although I prefer calling it an application-neutral scheme for
>> implementing application-specific Web APIs.
>>
>> That's very different to a use case specific browser API that takes a
>> request and returns a response and requires that browsers/platforms that
>> implement the API define a mechanism for these messages to get passed to
>> another app and for the response to be passed back.
>>

>> No.  The only difference is that the Google approach is application- and
>> platform-specific.  In most (other) contexts this would be called "a hack".
>>

>> As has been said in that thread most see this as implementation detail
>> that we won't put in the specs but we do need to consider it as it imposes
>> design constraints.
>>
>> On the desktop I see those apps likely being Web applications that are
>> simply rendered by the browser (IPC already solved - postMessage) and on
>> mobile I doubt the mobile OS vendors will suddenly open up a full duplex
>> tunnel for IPC between apps just because of this use case... But hey, I may
>> be wrong :)
>>

>> There are literally thousands of applications out there that could
>> benefit from COMBINING the power of the Web and App worlds
>>

> If that is true then the publishers of those applications are the ones you
> should be approaching to support your proposal. There are two ways to
> develop standards: 1) write what the authors think will be best for
> everyone and hope they all implement it or 2) gather the stakeholders that
> have tried to solve the problem and get them to agree on a standard way of
> doing so. i.e. They each make some changes  to what they are ALREADY doing
> so that eventually they are all doing the same thing - they standardize.

Depends on the stakeholder analysis...?

WWW got off the ground because of incompatibility issues from memory.  W3C
started because of Javascript wars [5], how does W3C refactor itself to
consider modern issues? Who are the stakeholders?

> One of the greatest risks for any CG is going down the road of number 1.
> When the actual implementors come to the table there is a great risk they
> will simply discard the work done before them for a variety of reasons that
> may be valid (implementation considerations that were missed) or invalid
> ("not invented here" mentality, hidden agendas).
>
> If you want to develop a standard that has, as part of its architecture, a
> browser API the best thing you can do is engage the browser vendors early.
> If that fails because your use case is too broad then you need to apply
> indirect pressure by finding the people who will derive value from your
> solution and get their support in persuading the browser vendors to
> consider your idea.

Is the suggestion that Manu failed to do so? [6]

> rather than fighting an uneven battle making nobody but a few W3C folks
>> happy.  Yeah, we have this great Web API standardization idea, any takers
>> out there?  No?  Seriously?
>>

> Either it's not such a good idea or you're looking for support from the
> wrong people. Creating a standard that has "general" usefulness is VERY
> hard. The use cases are too numerous and therefor the stakeholder group too
> big.
>
> If I was a browser vendor why would I want to implement this standard?

This is a good outline for stakeholdership [7], after all, if any person
was excluded for whatever underlying reason for the concept embedded within
the notion of 'payment', how would you survive or indeed, support the
survival of others around you.  What is the differentiator between what you
do as 'good for others' vs. 'nefarious'.  what court/s support discovery?

What happened?  Why did the spec change entirely after so many years work,
and what was the grounds for that change as i've not been able to easily
identify the issue either on the lists or the transcript.

[5] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_2YWiaPJ6A
[6] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjbICcGanIg
[7] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCplocVemjo