Re: Blockchain, block size and interledger (was: How do bank payments actually work?)

> Very interesting. Does this mean that, say, the ODRL (Open Digital Rights
Language), -- which specifies, for example, what rights exist to sell a
given item, and for how much, and who owns it, etc., -- could exist in one
ledger, and the payment system when someone wants to buy the item, could
exist in a second ledger? And that the two ledgers could be developed
separately?

Yes.

> then could there be additionally a third ledger -- also developed
independently -- that carries the actual works themselves -- the digital
files being sold?

Yes, although if I understood you correctly, I wouldn't call this a ledger.
Ledgers as we define them are concerned with accounting - tracking
ownership or attribution of assets/liabilities. So ODRL is definitely a
ledger. But a system that houses the actual files would be more like a
distributed file system than a ledger. Even if that system is aware of ODRL
and for instance only lets you download files that you have a license for,
it still wouldn't be a ledger, just a system that is paying attention to
one.

> Is something like this possible with the ILP?

Yes. Exchanging value between ledgers (e.g. licenses on one ledger vs
payment on another) is exactly what ILP is designed for.