Re: Update on Web Payments Working Group [The Web Browser API Incubation Anti-Pattern]

On 2016-04-05 21:52, Gregg Kellogg wrote:
"In particular, if the linked data stack is involved, it's clearly a web
standard, but of course, that is not yet clear."

Any payments scenario focused on interoperability of existing systems needs
to take one of two approaches, it seems to me. Either scope is limited to a
(very narrow) intersection of those systems' capabilities. Or
alternatively, scope could include a fuller, formal description of those
capabilities and service endpoints, along with some ability to negotiate a
"handshake" between them (i.e. finding the relative intersection on a
pairwise basis). Given the vast scope and variability inherent in $700
trillion a year of business payments, the latter approach seems more
extensible and scalable.

Linked Data and Semantic Web standards seem like a potential fit for this
type of requirement. That said, there is also work going on from a more
nuts-and-bolts, B2B implementation perspective in OASIS (building on the
ebXML history - the CPPA work in particular, in case anyone is interested).
I wonder (and in fact, have been asking the authors of those specs) if any
thought has been given on that side to converging with this W3C standards
stack. If anyone here has comments or perspectives, I'd love to hear them.

If I hear back any interesting answers to that question, I'll pass them on
here.

Roger