Re: Update on Web Payments Working Group [The Web Browser API Incubation Anti-Pattern]

On Tuesday, April 5, 2016, Anders Rundgren <anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 2016-04-05 19:33, Roger Bass wrote:
>
>> This seems to be a time for big picture reflections.
>>

> Indeed.  IMO we need to start with questions rather than with answers.
>
> The IMO #1 question is: Should the imagined effort depend on new
> technology in browsers or not?
>
> Why is that important?  Because if the answer is "Yes" it effectively
> means that the task is (more or less) owned by the browser vendors [1].
> If OTOH the answer is "No", I don't see that the effort has a clear
> binding to W3C except for marketing reasons.

This would seem to indicate that the W3C is only bound to efforts that end
up being implemented within browsers, which IMHO is a rather narrow reading
of W3C's charter. To me, the question is more about if the work builds on
and extends web standards, which aren't limited to browser implementations.
In particular, if the linked data stack is involved, it's clearly a web
standard, but of course, that is not yet clear.

Gregg