Re: Update on Web Payments Working Group [The Web Browser API Incubation Anti-Pattern]

I don't usually comment on this group, but since its gotten big picture and
into issues that I am particularly concerned with I decided to chime in. I
don't have any direct experience with Wc3 so my impression could be off.

Steven, I like the way you think. It is my conclusion that the monied elite
will not consciously support the creation of methods that will eliminate
their revenue sources--their bylaws give them directives that dictate
otherwise. It makes perfect sense that tech monopolies would be an obstacle
at wc3 to creating decentralize alternatives to their whole business model.
This does not mean that Wc3 does not produce a lot of invaluable work, but
that it is partially corrupted and can't produce results in certain areas.
Oligarchy manifests itself in many ways and if we are going to create a
society beyond centralized corporate control the process of web
standardization will have to happen without giving corporate interests any
real decision making power.

As far as your "Possibilities for a fairer way to continue to standardize
Credentials", I like them all. 5 is the most intriguing in the short-run,
and 1 is a great idea, I just think its going to be a while. Although I
have heard two reports of grants being awarded by the federal government
for credential/identity work.

I look forward to seeing where this goes. Perhaps there is an opportunity
following the breakdown.

--
Adam Lake
540-285-0083