Re: open source wallet -- protip launched

Hi,

I am Chris from ProTip. Thanks for the comments everyone.

Timothy: this is one of the first things we were concerned about and would
love any feedback and suggestions on how to mitigate or illuminate this
attack vector altogether.

Obviously while the app is not very well known it's not an issue but the
last thing we want is to get popular only to create lots of spam and I
cannot think of a better forum than this to help.

The way the app works at the moment is pretty good at preventing the user
from accidentally paying someone because auto-payment is OFF by default.
ProTip only selects the first address it finds on the page and then the
user is reminded to make a batch payment to the top 10 list of websites
that they visited that week.

That top 10 list is curated based on the time they spent on the page while
that window was in focus.

When browsing the user is given the opportunity to un-tick the address or
they can simply click on the Protip icon in the browser menu and click the
'X' ignore button next to the domain.

They can also choose to ignore:

1. bitcoin addresses,
2. top level domains or
3. directories of domains (eg Twitter notifications page but not the
"People You Follow" url: https://twitter.com/mentions?filter=following)

Some websites like blockexplorers and exchanges have already been
blacklisted since we felt it's pretty obvious a user won't want to tip
these sites but they can easily tick an address when they see it if they so
choose to.

We haven't seen it happen yet but the best place to test this out would be
bitcointalk forum and r/bitcoin where people frequently post addresses.

I like Greg's suggestion of whitelisting. We had a similar idea where for
certain popular domains like Youtube the app would behave differently,
ignoring the comments sections for example.

Other things we have considered are linking it to keybase.io and onename so
that only validated bitcoin addresses are paid.

Another option would be giving the user the ability to decide whether the
app is opt in or opt out by default when they first install it.

Lastly for webmasters we have the metatag:

This goes in the header and overrides any bitcoin address found anywhere
else on the page. We have also considered putting more syntax in there so
that they can customise how Protip behaves when a user comes on to their
site. It could be a good feature for forums where whitelisted users could
be given the ability to put some microsyntax in the designated areas that
protip could then augment in to a fancy button like the "Like" button for
example.

Anyway thanks again for taking the time to read this. We are just a small
team trying to have a little impact and I appreciate any help and
suggestions.