Re: decentralized vs distributed payments

On 24 September 2015 at 22:38, Tao Effect <contact@taoeffect.com> wrote:

> People always talk about 'decentralized' money when it's 'distributed'.
> What's the difference? A distributed system is shared over many hard
> drives. A decentralized system goes one step further. It does not have a
> central point of control.
>
> So far so good.

Thanks for the feeback! :)

> In the case of bitcoin the central point of control is the protocol which
> says "longest chain wins".
>
> No. That is not a central point of control, that is just the protocol rule.

So what about consensus decisions by the developers and miners to change
the spec?  Doesnt that affect everyone with a balance, whether they agree
or not?  What if bitcoin changed to proof of stake, for example?

> A pure decentralized system would be much simpler. It would take the
> essential essence of money (a ledger + transactions) and have no other
> constraints. Each entry in the ledger would point to an entity. Each value
> in the ledger would be an amount. That's it. There is no pre ordained
> protocol.
>
> More accurate would be to call that a purely malfunctioning system.

Do you mean incomplete, if so I agree.  Would like to understand
"malfunctioning" better.

> Any decentralized payment system needs to solve the double-spending
> problem, and this one does not.

What defines "solving".  We can all agree double spending is undesirable.
Does it have to be zero, or kept to a certain low level.  For example in
fiat currency coins and notes are copied and spent illegally, but the
volume is low enough not to disrupt the system.