Re: How would 402 Payment Required work? (was Re: wired - Coinbase Is Out to Build Payments Right Into Browsers)

Is it necessary for the 402 response need to redirect the user to a new URL?
The server could respond with a 402 and the body of the response could
contain a well designed HTML document that gracefully handles older and
newer browsers.

The HTML page can provide:
1. Some human-readable content such as "The page you have requested
requires payment, to pay click here" to accomodate older browsers
2. A paymentRequest object embedded in the content in a standardised way so
that the browser knows to process it (as if it had been passed to
navigator.payments.requestPayment(...)) to provide a better experience for
newer browsers.

If the browser is capable of handling the payment request then, upon
receiving the 402 response, it will look for that request in the response
body.

It will kick off the Web Payments flow getting the user to approve the
payment and will finally get back a paymentResponse (the same object it
would have returned from the API if that was how the flow had been
initiated).

I'm not sure of the best way to pass this to the payee website though,
there are a few options. The best I can think of is that the payee provides
a URI to POST this to in the 402 response, perhaps in a special header or
in the paymentRequest object itself, and the response from the payee to
this is either the resource that was originally requested or a redirect to
that resource.