Re: wired - Coinbase Is Out to Build Payments Right Into Browsers

This article doesn't provide much detail on how they think a 402 response
and the subsequent flow would work. At the level of HTTP request/response
402 is well-suited to be a part of a paid API flow.

Surely paid content is better served by incorporating the payment details
into the content itself through a browser API or similar?

It's great that Coinbase are interested in achieving what amounts to the
same goals as the W3C Payments activity (CG, IG and WG) but the reference
to 402 feels a little like marketing spin :)

I should know, we've been talking about 402 at Ripple for over a year and
it was the concluding point in my Internet of Value presentation at W3C.Br
earlier this year: https://youtu.be/sANeF3_w_3g?t=29m (from about 29mins,
sounds familiar..?)

On 14 November 2015 at 03:44, Pindar Wong <pindar.wong@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Melvin for sharing this... very interesting indeed.
>
> Getting more bitcoin-related co's participating in the W3C work, esp. now
> that the Web Payments WG is up-n-running, is going to be key.

+1 - although what I think is key is that they are early implementors and
don't go off and do their own thing at the expense of non-Bitcoin payments.
It would be a pity for web developers to have to deal with payments in a
proprietary Coinbase way and all other payments in another way.