Re: [Payments Architecture] A vision statement for the web payments architecture work

On 22 May 2015 at 15:07, Adrian Hope-Bailie <adrian@hopebailie.com> wrote:

> I think most are in agreement that decentralized is better than
> centralized for a democratised system where the goal is to give no party an
> advantage over others purely due to the architecture of the system.
>
> Having said that, I'm not sure  what you mean by "payments should be
> decentralized". Can you explain or propose the content you think would be
> appropriate?

The web was designed to be a highly connected system where anything can be
connected to anything, what I call A2A.

As such if that architecture is facilitated, it becomes a self healing
network, with relatively few central points of failure.

We've seen that the web can be both used to build centralized structures
and decentralized structures.  Perhaps centralization is winning as of
2015.  Decentralization is a great challenge, and Im not optimistic the IG
can get it right first time, but maybe worthwhile to try.

Depending on design decisions the work produced can lean one way or
another.  One example is that a web page was designed to be like a piece of
paper, so the content is independent of the medium or the location, one way
to do this in linked data is to have arbitrarily many concepts on a single
page, with the page itself being related to HTTP.

One major problem with legacy systems is that, although designed to have a
level playing field, centralization happens, with "too big to fail" points
of centralization.  This was one of the causes of the 2009 crises, and
leads to systemic risk.  Hopefully web payments can have a different
philosophy, and lead to less systemic risk.

In line with your other bullet point "decentralized by design" could
perhaps be a motivator.