Re: modeling wallets

On 17 May 2015 at 02:58, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:

> On 05/16/2015 08:17 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> > "A wallet is a container of money"
>
> The Web Payments IG started out talking about "digital wallets" and
> quickly moved away from the idea since a "digital wallet" can hold many
> other things as Tim and Jorge point out.
>
> There seems to be some sort of consensus around the concept of an
> 'account' and a 'ledger'. Those terms aren't as accessible to most
> people was 'wallet', but it may be the right way to model these sorts of
> things.
>
> <Alice> <com:account> <Alice:#account1>
> <Alice:#account1> <com:currency> "USD".
> <Alice:#account1> <rdfs:label> "Party Money".
> <Alice:#account1> <com:ledger> <Alice:#ledger1>

Thanks Manu, this is very helpful.

I'd been using DCT : description for the "Party Money" part, I can switch
to RDFS label, that looks better.

I've been thinking quite a bit about ledgers based on accounts and ledgers
based on users.  My current conclusion is that I'd like to try both.  The
issue with user based ledgers is that they need a default currency, so I've
selected bitcoin for that.  That's still experimental, the user based
ledger may in retrospect be a bad idea, but I'd like to try it as it's so
simple to say Alice has 10, Bob has 15 etc.  I do like the com : account
part too, and will probably implement that also when I get down my todo
list.

My idea for a wallet so far is that it points to an API which allows the
user to be input as a query string.  Then it has an inbox where there user
can send transactions based on their user name.  One inbox per user.

One thing that seems to be slightly different is that I would consider a
wallet to be a container of many accounts/users, but can be used with one
account/user.

<Alice> <cc:wallet> <Alice:#wallet>
<Alice:#wallet> a cc:Wallet
<Alice:#wallet> <rdfs:label> "Main wallet at ACME inc".
<Alice:#wallet> <cc:api> <http://acme.com/api/v1>.
<Alice:#wallet> <cc:inbox> <https://acme.com/etc/wallet/>.

The fields above are still very experimental, and I'd be happy to change
them.  Just trying to get a prototype working and reusing some common
patterns.