Re: FYI: US authorities throw the book at Ripple Labs

This is quickly becoming a net neutrality issue -- what's happening
here is that the US government is trying to make our network no longer
neutral to all participants.  In particular, participants that it
chooses to no longer participate will no longer have the option to
participate at what sounds like the protocol level.  Perhaps it is too
soon to tell -- they've only so far made changes to RippleTrade and
optional changes elsewhere -- but this announcement does not bode
well.  Depending how they implement these changes, it will break
financial inclusion for the budding network: Ripple Labs may not have
a problem with that (since they have been focusing more on "including"
only banks, completely ignoring the histoiry of Ripple as a way to
live *without* banks).   As Joseph Potvin points out, though, this is
only the first state actor to want this power.  How will they react
when the government of Cuba or the the Hague or something tries to
freeze the US government's accounts for money laundering in central
america?  I think we all know -- this power will only be usable by
*some* network participants.

Anonymity is a stopgap to these kinds of problems occurring -- it
forces the network, at least, to be honest.  I think we're going to be
increasingly forced to recognize that what we are allowing, by our
inaction, is a power grab over future network participants that cannot
yet speak for themselves.

Networks should beyond everything else be neutral and neither prevent
users from using them for political reasons, nor inadvertently do so.

Jeff Cliff

--
GENERATION 26: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any
forum and add 1 to the generation