Re: FYI - iSignThis

On 2015-05-04 08:20, Timothy Holborn wrote:

>   "Based in Melbourne, Australia,*iSignthis Ltd [ASX:ISX]*has been granted patents that significantly enhance online payment security and internet identity to assist eCommerce operators meet ever increasing compliance requirements, to combat online fraud and money laundering. Their patent is an easy identification verification service that unlocks the identity from regulated e-payment instruments by using the data and metadata associated with routine electronic transactions.
>
> Entities that require customer identification can now use their standard e-payment transactions to provide a basis for anti-money laundering regulation compliance, safeguard against online fraud, whilst also processing payment for their services.
>
> According to the company, they are the first to specifically offer identity proofing of persons in conjunction with payment services."
>
> Source: http://www.dailyreckoning.com.au/whats-happening-share-price-isignthis-ltd/2015/05/04/

This may be great news for investors but personally I'm skeptical about actually making money on patents of this kind.

In fact, these days I mainly worry that something in my own designs could be encumbered since that could lead to legal processes I cannot afford, not to mention how unattractive such a solution would be as a foundation for standard (de-facto or real).

Just in case there could be something "innovative" in my work (how can you actually know...), I routinely use this free service
http://www.defensivepublications.org/
to "destroy" possible IPR as much as possible: https://priorart.ip.com/IPCOM/000215433

IPR considerations are probably one of the major reasons why I believe Google, Microsoft and Apple won't engage in the W3C Web Payment initiative.  In the end, lawyers are probably the only real winners because no matter which side they represent, they can charge ridiculous amounts of money.

Anders