Re: w3c payment processors

On 12 March 2015 at 05:21, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:

> To clarify a bit more...
>
> On 03/06/2015 04:19 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> > I would like to implement a payment processor in line with the w3c
> > payments spec
>
> Keep in mind that there is no such thing as a "W3C Payments Spec" right
> now. I know you know that Melvin, but others on the list might get the
> wrong idea.
>
> There are Web Payments /Community Group/ specifications, many of them
> incomplete or in need of updating, but with implementations.
>
> There are no Web Payments /Interest Group/ or /Working Group/
> specifications yet. We're working through the details now of use cases,
> roadmap, and Web Payments Architecture (Payment Agent). Expect First
> Public Working Drafts of those in the coming months.
>
> > I was wondering if anyone else is working on something similar
> > because I'd like to test payments from one processor to another, and
> > it doesnt seem clear how to do that right now.  Perhaps with some
> > running code the problem would be easier to break down.
>
> There is currently no mechanism to do cross-payment processor clearing.
> Payment Processors could use Ripple, centralized continuous clearing, or
> some other blockchain-like mechanism to clear payments between each
> other. Not having this spec'd right now is problematic, and we really do
> need to sort out the details here.
>
> > Just trying to establish tentatively if anyone may be willing to help
> > test in the short to medium term.
>
> +1, willing to test... but before we can do that, we need to settle on
> the protocol (which is a non-trivial undertaking).

+1 to everything

My hope was that through running code it might be easier to come to a
consensus.

Perhaps we could have a wiki page for people that would like to test,
similar to :

https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/ldpwg/raw-file/default/tests/reports/ldp.html

I think we may need a clearing system like ripple or ACH

I also have some bitcoin "testnet" coins that could be used to test
settlement.  They are worthless coins but otherwise will all the same
properties of btc.