Further to the "payments" vs "commerce" topic [WAS: Web Payments Interest Group 2015 NYC face-to-face meeting reading list]

On "payments" vs "commerce", this ISO 12812 article by the Convenor of
ISO/TC 68/SC 7/WG 10 raises the same point:
http://www.iso.org/iso/home/news_index/news_archive/news.htm?refid=Ref1535
"To better capture the breadth of these functions, as well as other
functions or variations that may emerge, it might be more accurate to use
the term “mobile commerce”."

The choice of words here is non-trivial, since the particular functions
that occur amongst buyers and sellers are regulated under contracts law,
and the particular functions that occur with and amongst financial entities
are under money/banking/securities law.

On the significance of this distinction, consider the particular example
that when the central bank in Finland determined that a BTC was a vitural
commodity, they were declaring that it is consequently regulated under
contracts law, not money/banking/securities law.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-01-19/bitcoin-becomes-commodity-in-
finland-after-failing-currency-test
The fundamental corollary: "U.K. tax authorities are considering whether
Bitcoins should be liable for value-added tax, chargeable at 20 percent in
Britain, after meetings with Bitcoin users. Currency transactions are
usually exempt. “Virtual currency is not legal tender -- if it was, VAT
would definitely not be due,” Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs said in an
e-mailed response to questions."

The upshot: Any e-commerce solution that treats paying with EUR and paying
with a BTC as merely a choice of currencies with no tax implications for
the transaction in that choice will itself present a legal risk... from the
get-go. As the recent FinCEN vs. RippleLabs case illustrates:
http://www.americanbanker.com/news/bank-technology/what-ripples-fincen-fine-means-for-the-digital-currency-industry-1074195-1.html

More generally, it's fundamental for all participants in this initiative to
be hyper-clear about what legal requirements they are working under when
creating specifications for various functions. To this end it would be
helpful for the inititiative as a whole, as well as in its task groups, to
accurately reflect the legal contexts implied in the terminology being
used. The global-level touchstone on this is the entity comprised of
lawyers from Justice Departments from around the world: UNCITRAL.

Joseph Potvin
Project Coordinator, DataKinetics http://www.dkl.com
Operations Manager | Gestionnaire des opérations
The Opman Company | La compagnie Opman
jpotvin@opman.ca
Mobile: 819-593-5983