Re: [Payments Architecture] A vision statement for the web payments architecture work

On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 6:18 PM, Adrian Hope-Bailie <adrian@hopebailie.com>
wrote:

> Hi Pindar,
>
> Thanks for the feedback. I think the purpose of that phrase is to
> specifically highlight the fact that the majority of internet businesses
> are dependent on advertising revenue. Making payments on the Web more
> efficient and lowering their cost will make a number of new revenue models
> possible (financially viable).

Thank you Adrian for your prompt reply and for raising the point above.

On my first read, that was indeed how I interpreted this bullet point and I
considered it in a positive light, as you have, in drawing attention that
is the advertising model is what is currently known to work. It has indeed
been the basis for business models for a number of 'free' services, a model
where users 'pay' in data and in terms of their privacy. A point that is
also amplified by the earlier 'Web principle' of 'Protecting the privacy of
all participants'

> I would argue that calling out advertising as the only viable revenue
> stream on the Web today is not a bad thing on the basis that I don't
> believe these new business models will succeed at the expense of ad-revenue
> based business. Rather, they will simply divert more consumer and business
> spending to Web-based as opposed to traditional businesses. Would you agree?

I think that advertising has its own valuable role in certain
circumstances. It has enabled the web to succeed thus far and we should be
mindful of that, though we may disagree with how invasive their profiling
has become.

However, on second read, I thought that singling out advertising business
models might be counterproductive in terms of getting buy-in or
participation in our payments work, notwithstanding that I don't think that
it is in entirely in keeping in document at the level of a 'vision
document'.

Specifically,  I would refrain for any perception of prejudicial bias
against advertising or advertisers. If only to help with transitioning from
the existing model to any future model that web payments might enable.

Perhaps in light of your points above, I might soften that statement with
the addition of 'only' to read:

'This is key to opening up new revenue generating opportunities on the Web
that do not depend only on advertising.'

Thank you for considering this matter for whatever it may be worth, and I
apologize for laboring this point.

Regards,

p.

PS: Tomorrow I'm presenting at *http://fintechinnovation-asia.com/*