Re: sketching out HTTP 402 workflow

On 27 July 2015 at 22:34, Steven Rowat <steven_rowat@sunshine.net> wrote:

> On 7/27/15 12:40 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>
>      These are the stories society needs most to know about, and it
>>     would be a loss if the teller is silenced by local action.
>>

>> Thanks.  Well I feel this is an admirable goal, but my primary focus
>> for payments is to use it to help open source developers help each
>> other (and themselves) to create code, and maybe make enough of a
>> living to pay some of the bills.  In general most people in that
>> community are not anonymous.
>>

> Aha, I misunderstood--your mechanism isn't intended as a general solution
> to the sale of digital materials on the Internet, then. It's a specific
> subset.

Oh no, not at all.  The technology is open ended.  Just letting you know
the direction I want to personally go.

> And here I was ready to go further in the other direction, more general --
> which thoughts I might as well include, in case someone else comes upon
> this thread: here are some reasons why pseudonyms have been used throughout
> history; a paragraph from the Wikipedia "List of Pen names" (
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pen_names), which gives a summary
> as to why such a system has evolved:

By all means, if someone wants to build this, it would not be too hard,
imho.

> "A pen name or nom de plume is a pseudonym adopted by an author. A pen
> name may be used to make the author's name more distinctive, to disguise
> his or her gender, to distance an author from some or all of his or her
> other works, to protect the author from retribution for his or her
> writings, to combine more than one author into a single author, or for any
> of a number of reasons related to the marketing or aesthetic presentation
> of the work. The author's name may be known only to the publisher, or may
> come to be common knowledge."
>
> In the list given at the Wikipedia link above (which is noted as being
> incomplete), I see many well-known authors whose pseudonyms were:
> George Orwell
> Mark Twain
> Ayn Rand
> C. S. Forester
> George Eliot
> Guillaume Apollinaire
> John le Carré
> Joseph Conrad
> Lewis Carroll
> Pablo Neruda
> Stendhal
>
> ...many more

When we talked to the BBC as part of the Social Web XG, they said this
would be something they'd value.

> So it wouldn't be as if creating a payment mechanism for
> 'pseudo-anonymity' would be adding a new function for the Internet; it's
> already part of our publishing system. It's evolved over past centuries,
> and the Internet would in effect be removing this evolved function of
> publishing if it doesn't provide for it.
>
> But to return to this thread, such an evolution didn't occur with
> reference to code-writers, since there weren't any, and maybe as you say
> they don't need it...yet? But they might some day? Or, maybe it's already
> important for some code-writers? Didn't Gibson say that the future is
> already here, just unevenly distributed? Isn't code-writing political,
> sometimes, already?
>
> And...isn't all work written in 'natural' language just code for the
> brain? So if we're all in the process of becoming cyborgs, won't the
> difference disappear?...if it hasn't already.   ;-)

:)

The payment system is simply denoting a user using a URI.  It just so
happens that the URIs I use tend to be public.  Nothing in the
infrastucture prevents anyone from taking things in another directions.
Only thing we lack is coders, so that's why my first thought is to try and
support that group.