Re: sketching out HTTP 402 workflow

On 26 July 2015 at 16:50, Anders Rundgren <anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 2015-07-26 16:31, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> <snip>
>
>      Well, I'm just talking about this smallish issue which is providing
>> the
>>     initial link, something none of giants in the industry have manged
>> come
>>     up with a solution to.  Microsoft once tried but that's about the only
>>     serious attempt I have heard about.
>>

>> The initial link can be clicked on.  Or put in the query string.
>>

> I'm referring to the link to the payment provider.

The way I do this is that you follow your nose from user to payment
provider.

> Or in local storage.  Or in indexed db. Or found in a certificate.  Or
> typed into a form.
>
> How does the merchant server know where to go?

As above, from the user you get a payment provider (what I call a wallet)

>  Hopefully the credentials API will give another solution.
>>

> The payment industry isn't going to buy into a new password management
> scheme even if it comes from Google.
> AFAICT, there's no interest from the other browser vendors either.

Pity

>  I think we have enough options to work tho.
>>

> The (IMO) only thing that provably works is the "SuperProvider" concept
> like PayPal.

PayPal certainly does work, and I hope to learn as much as possible from
them.

> This topic [presumably] resides at the FIDO alliance which I don't have
> any insights in.
> Even if I had such information I couldn't tell since FIDO require their
> members signing an NDA!

Personally I prefer an open standards process.  But will be interested to
see what FIDO comes up with.